How to solder pipes with water running?

Page 2 of 3

There is no trick, you can't solder in water. You could by a ProPress but they are a little pricey. But if I were you, I'd start with a shovel and dig out the meter box. There should be a union on the house side of the meter and with two pipe wrenches I'd disconnect it and allow the water to drain back from the house.
Also, this all-brass Delta manifold has 4 male pipe-thread fittings (water supply; shower head out; tub spigot out). I guess I have to teflon-tape all those and tighten on the copper fittings, then solder on the 1/2-inch pipe? That's a lot of soldering to do at one time.
Am I missing something? Or is this the way to solder on such a manifold?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net

Open whatever faucets and drains you can to relieve the pressure. Stuff some bread up the pipe you want to solder. When finished, close faucets and drains, turn water fully on and the bread will dissolve and flush out. Don't overstuff or it could take a couple days for the bread to dissolve.
Bob

Glad I read the whole thread, I have used the bread thingy in the past. Can't have pressure behind it though.

I remember a warning here from some time ago on the subject of bread: don't use nice, wholesome, whole grain bread! The seeds wiped out the guy's dishwasher. Use Wonderbread!
Ev wrote:

--

>==> Reply to the name above at poboxes dot com <==<

One trick you could try is to put a shop vac on a different run and let it suck the water down that pipe!
Wayne

DaveC wrote:

As everyone else has told you, you can't solder them with water running through the joints.
I'm suprised no one else has mentioned this yet, but if you really can't or don't want to fix the shutoff, then since you asked, here's the "trick".
Go out and rent a pipe freezer, that's what they're made for. They come in CO2 and electric versions. Here's a CO2 one now:
http://www.pollardwater.com/emarket/Pages/QF1500%20Qwik%20Freezer.asp
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I just have to chuckle. There is no limit to human ingenuity. But why would anyone go such distance on a residential application is beyond me. I'd rather install block valve to save future trouble. Or make the city do it.
But again, the original poster maybe just a troll.

Hook up a wet vac to suck out the water. Leave it running while you solder. Wear goggles. Setup the right way this will work for a fact. Did two cottage renovations this way where four cottages were all connected with one leaky shut-off. You must be certain that none of this plumbing is connected to waste lines or it could lead to an explosion. That is unlikely but sucking sewer gas through a motor is a bad thing.
----------------------- All lower case to respond by mail. If you give a little they give a lot http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Forget the job let it leak and take a permanent coffee break or go on vacation

some
propane
but
out
for

some
Fix the shutoff valve thats broken... Also, you should have a shutoff someplace in the house as well.
DaveC wrote:

If you don't have another shut off valve to your house, call the damn water company and tell them to come fis their valve.
You can add a compression valve in the main water line which uses compression fittings , then, youll be able to shut off the water to the house so you can solder. If the water is only dripping out a bit at a time, you can take some bread and cram it in until the dripping stops , then do your soldering. Then simply turn the water back on and the bread will emulsify in the pipes and not clog up your faucets -- my plumber friend taught me this trick.
Dave
Have you hugged your A/C Tech today ?
I think the way to go about your problem is to install a valve inside your house where the service entrance is. This would make sense even if you did not have the problem you asked about. If one of your pipes broke because it froze, or athrophied because it was galvanized, or a quake erupted, whatever.. you'll be glad you didn't have to dig up the street to turn off a valve that barely worked. A little water goes a long way: don't find out the hard way.
Here's what I did years ago and I swear it worked. As another poster suggested, I put dry ice on the pipe and aimed a housefan at it.In no time, the water inside the pipe froze and I acutally had a surprising lot of time to change the valve. Of course it is not a time to daudle and it does take balls to do it, but, for what my personal archives are worth, that's what I did, successfully. In fact, I rank it as my trival life's greatest victory, just after giving up smoking.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net says...

You kidding?
get it fixed out at the curb. can't do that or are is some kind of rush?
cut the supply line near the meter. install a shut off valve use a compression fitting. then get it fixed at curb, replace all shut offs with ball valves, remove the compression shut off.
cut the supply line near the meter. install a shut off valve use a compression fitting. then get it fixed at curb, replace all shut offs with ball valves, remove the compression shut off. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
This is the best way to do it.
I did this exact thing in our old house.

jet sweater, it's a rubber plug at the end of a 12" stalk. you stick it in the pipe and turn it until the plug swells and seals, solder away then remove. Any decent plumber knows about these. it works if it's a straight shot. those gel caps aren't worth a shit! Chip