How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

Page 2 of 2

sander. Wouldn't that do the trick? :<)
One trick from woodworking (or somewhere... I can't recall where it is that I used this) is to grind the two pieces against each other. No need for a reference "straight" piece -- the two will self-correct for any non-straightness.
But it sounds like that would be awfully hard to do with glass by hand.
kevin wrote:

curve, and still fit each other. Afair, the early toolmakers used to lap *three* straight-edges against each other (in all possible pairings). That way, they have to come out flat.