How to skip that stupid message

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:39:12 -0700, The Real Bev

I dind't know you could do that!
Could you also do it with Android 2.4.n?

Somehow my good friend's landlady (and friend) got my cell phone and left me a message that I didn't get for weeks. Now my message says, Hi, this is nnn-nnn-nnnn. I can go months without using my phone so don't leave a message unless you know I'm going to be checking.
I think that will work.

That is a problem. How do you feel about "he"?

This is a black phone that came with a black cover. How boring, and it will be hard to find some day. Plus it probably gets hot in the sunlight. I found another cover that also works as an easel in both portrait and landscape, but the current cover is rubbery enough that it works pretty well leaning against something.

On 06/30/2016 09:33 PM, Micky wrote:

I don't know, my earliest Android phone was 4.x.

I should do that. I think mine just says "This is Bev" so that actual friends will know they haven't got a wrong number. My son's message used to be "This is the machine; you know what to do."

I didn't have a problem with it until my consciousness was raised sometime back in the 90s :-) I really only care because I want to be grammatically correct but I'm too lazy to write he/she or him/her whenever it's called for.

Mine is white (faux iPhone, I guess; only white was on sale) and white gets dirty. While I'm a slob, I don't like to actually SEE grubby stuff.

Stuff like that, along with cables etc. should be ordered directly from China rather than paying a local shop a 500% markup for the same stuff. I've been happy with dx.com and most of the ebay sellers and am both patient (takes maybe a month) and willing to risk small amounts of money.
--
Cheers, Bev
"It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." - A. S. LaVey

I like that message. It's the contrast to the phone company telling us we can hang up after we leave the message. Before they said that, I used to just hold on until the person I called came home.

My consciousness was raised for a while, but then it got tired and lay down again. A little later, it fell asleep.

Somewhere in school, high school or earlier, totally unrelated to him and her, I got the strong impression that slashes shouldn't be used in polite or formal writing. Even worse is reading such stuff aloud and saying "slash".
(This might be related to people who say, not reading just talking, "this is what the quote unquote instructions say." when it ought to be " what the quote instructions unquote say".)

I don't mind the black so much now that I know white or blue phones are more expensive.

Indeed.

Sort of related: I bought a $3.15 7-outlet USB hub with 7 switches and 7 lights from Amazon, and it said it would take 5 to 8 weeks, or something like that, but it came at 4 weeks. It said I could track it on UPS, but UPS still has no record of it, and it says nothing about UPS on the padded envelope it came in.
It's $5 now but will probably go down again. I ddidn't know USB wire came so thin.
On 07/01/2016 07:38 PM, Micky wrote:

Funny, I used to do that too. I guess those instructions aren't a waste of time after all.

Slashes and double hyphens are too useful to eliminate. Reading them aloud is completely different, though.

Or do air-quotes. When we can get free licenses to kill three people per year I don't think those people would be on my hitlist, but maybe if it was a slow year...

A woman had set up a begging station near the entrance to the mall parking lot across the street. She was there for several days. Her sign said that she had just found a job and needed money to buy suitable clothes. She had a white phone. She was also blocking the sidewalk. I finally told her that she was obviously a scammer, that if she really needed the money she would have picked up the soda can lying 6 feet away (worth a nickel and I collected enough cans on our daily bike rides to buy a very nice [used] bicycle), she was blocking the sidewalk, and if she was there the next day I was calling the cops.

We bought some Chinese button batteries from dx.com that took extra time because they were shipped from Sweden. Go figure.

I found out that USB3 cables use twice as many wires as USB2 cables, so I ordered some extension cables so we can easily plug USB3 devices into the USB3 sockets on the back of the computers. 1 meter long, $3.64 each, free shipping.
--
Cheers, Bev
Nothing is so stupid that you can't find somebody who

On the NBC news tonight they had acouple whose car insurance went up 25%. They had 3 cars for the two of them. If they can't afford the insurance, they should sell one car. I would think NBC could have found a couple with only 2 cars.

Those are either nickel-ice or carbide-snow

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 10:48:01 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

Turn on "Airplane Mode" :-) . HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Oh, yeah, I did know about that, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.
And I thought you could only do it on an airplane.
On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 22:45:40 -0400, Micky wrote:

Have Jefferson Airplane playing softly in the background.
Cheers, -- tlvp

That sounds right.

Mine leaves an icon on the top of the screen showing a voice mail is present. I turn on the phone and check for that every few days.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 22:26:48 -0700, The Real Bev

I tried it last night and after it rang 4 times at my phone, the voicemail answered, I pushed * and it asked for my code, and then it gave me my messages.
There is one junk call which has called 3 times, and it even has a 410 area code. This time the message was blank, and the other two were test messages from me. I'm glad I didn't spend $2 to hear them.
I think this time I'll finally remembe how to do get my messages from another phone.
Next reply to this post is differnt.

On 07/01/2016 09:01 AM, Micky wrote:

Too much time wasted!

Feed suspicious numbers into a normal google search box and it will tell you what other people have had to say about the number -- mostly that it's spam.
--
Cheers, Bev
A man's got to know his limitations.

Good point. For me it was reassuring to see that my new phone knows how to ring.

I've done that with this one. The exchange, first three digits, is (or are) I think one digit off from one many of my friends have, so it had me fooled at first. But since only 6 people know my cell number that made me check.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 22:48:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Actually, I was mistaken, sort of. You can use the same procedure from any phone that's not your cell phone. Instructions for AT&T at the end.

I doubt it, but maybe. I don't have a password to get into my cell. I do have one to get into the webpage associated with my account, that says how much money is in it, and I was surprised tonight to find out that it uses the same password as retrieving messages. For 10 years or more, I've been wrestling between two numbers, thinking one was for one thing and one the other, but I never did both things in a row before!!
I find it had to believe I would have to use this same number for a third thing, as the password for my phone.

it's a hullabaloo.
Call voicemail from another phone to check messages
Before you begin Know your voicemail password
If you don’t know it, learn how to reset your voicemail password. Main steps Access voicemail from another phone Accessing your voicemail from another phone is handy when you don't have your wireless phone with you or when outside a coverage area.
[Or when you want to save money.]
To check your voicemail messages from another phone:
Call your 10-digit wireless number. When you hear your personal voicemail greeting, press the * key to interrupt it. If you reach the main voicemail system greeting, enter your 10-digit wireless phone number, then interrupt your greeting by pressing the * key. Enter your voicemail password when prompted. Follow the voice prompts to listen to your messages.
Additional steps View message playback options While listening to your messages, you have the following menu options:
To rewind 10 seconds, press 1. To rewind to beginning, press 11. To skip ahead 10 seconds, press 3. To skip to end of message, press 33. To delete message, press 7. Don’t hang up if you accidentally delete a message. To recover deleted messages, press 1, then press 9. To save message, press 9. To skip message, press #. To replay message, press 0, then press 4. To hear more options, press 0. To return to the Main menu, press *.
They don't mention the first 4 above on the phone, I don't think. And I think it's better to have them in this list than have to remember them on the fly.
This is AT&T, don't know about other companies. There should be federal regulation to make the command numbers the same so one can change cell phone providers easily.
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html #!/wireless/KM1009129
That was humor.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 18:08:49 -0400, Micky

I checked. Yes, it does. Then it offers to play the ones you just deleted. I ddint' have any old ones, ones I saved earlier, but I'm still sure it plays new ones first.
New ones since the last time I listened to them.
It might play the oldest of the new ones first. Is that what you meant??
Probably does. Otherwise it could be very confusing, but by playing the most recent ones last, the final thing you hear is what was said last on the topic.
**Is that what you meant?