How to ship a mirror?

I need a company to pickup, pack and ship a mirror from Tuscaloosa Alabama to central NJ. The mirror is about 5ft by 3 ft and the frame is about 2 1/2 inches thick. Total weight is about 80 pounds.
Any suggestions about how to get this done (economically) would be appreciated.
I calculated the cost via UPS to be about $300.00 which is more than I can justify for the mirror.
TIA, EJ in NJ
Ernie Willson wrote:

Build a sturdy box and ship it motor freight. Maybe $60 in freight charge.
HeyBub wrote:

Thanks for your reply, but I need what I asked for..pickup, packing, and shipping. I am in NJ, not Ala. The shipper must do all three things, not just shipping.
EJ in NJ

Ernie Willson wrote:

UPS doesn't pack.
Having emphasized your needs, you're looking for a local agent to handle the shipping details.
You can probably find one on the cheap by posting an ad in the Tuscaloosa (or neighboring) Craigslist.
HeyBub wrote:

UPS stores pack, as in "pack and ship".

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:13:37 -0500, Ernie Willson

See if this company can ship the mirror. A free call!
http://www.freightncrate.com/contactus.htm
CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS Freight and Crate
Physical Address: 57 West Barham Ave. Santa Rosa, CA 95407
Mailing Address: P.O. BOX 1080 Windsor, CA 95492
Toll Free Phone: 800-949-1268 Toll Free Fax Phone: 800-949-1278
Phone: 707-584-2750 Fax: 707-584-2749
Terminal Manager Cathy Gutierrez: snipped-for-privacy@freightncrate.com
Facilities Manager Fred Benz: snipped-for-privacy@freightncrate.com
All other inquiries to Customer Service: snipped-for-privacy@freightncrate.com

I gave the wrong link I was thinking of in my other post.
THIS company has locations in Alabama. North and Central New Jersey.
*Craters & Freighters *
http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/cf/welcome.do
Sorry for mix up.

1. Consult the nearest museum with a collection of hiqu-quality antique furniture or pictures. Some have "shipping" departments, others "conservation." 2. Your basic comparison may be between replacement cost (viz. buying something similar in NJ) and shipping. Modern rigid foam (as shaped to pack computers, TVs etc.) may enable you to pack it for yourself: but #1 may provide valuable advice free.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Ernie Willson wrote:

I would contact a mover -
Ernie Willson wrote:

Hi, You'll have to crate it just to be safe. If 300.00 is too much for you, better forget all about it.

How about taking a weekend and driving down to get it yourself???? Probably the safest and cheapest way to go.....

call united van lines, they can handle the entire job.....