how to ship

This may not sound like an "on topic" post, but is.
I need to have a 27cu ft crated , 200lb object shipped from one zip code to another.
Who are some companies that can do this for me?
I'm talking here about shipping a relacement engine for my garden tractor

Ed is right on.
Call around to some of the smaller freight companies. They MIGHT be cheaper for ya. I used to use a smaller shipping company for local freight with in AZ. They beat the bigger guys hands down. Especially in service.
If speed is an issue call FedEx, they have a ground service. You may be shocked at what it costs.
RB wrote:

In addition to others, talk to whoever you're getting it from...they'll ship all over all the time and generally have better recommendations, I've found.
How far you have to ship it will make a difference on whether you have to start w/ a national carrier or can find a local/regional to get it the whole way...small shipment like that if it's cross-country will in all likelihood go on major carrier to some distribution center then to you (unless you're either in a major metro area or on a major throughway).

Freight companies. Look under trucking in the Yellow Pages. CCX, Roadway, Yellow, New Penn, etc. They all carry LTL freight like that. Depending on distance, it may be cheaper to put it in the back of a pickup and drive there.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Roadway,
I worked for Yellow (which now owns Roadway, and USF is in the works). If you ever wanted to see a bunch of people not care about freight, Yellow would be the one to choose. The dock workers were terrible, the yard and drivers are a different story. I would not reccommend Yellow for shipping of anything.
I'm getting it from a guy like me who is sending it from his house. The engine is 3'x3'x3' and is a K-532. Guys got a blown engine he's sending me. I pay shipping, natch.
RB,
Others have already given you good shipping advice. What lawn tractor engine is 27 cu ft. and weighs 200 lbs? I don't think my whole lawn tractor occupies this much space or weighs this much.
Dave M.

I was thinking about the same thing too. Seems like you could fit a V8 engine in 1 cu yd but that would be a lot more than 200 lbs.
27 cubic feet = 1 cubic yard = 46656 cubic inches!
Kim wrote:

tractor
V8

tractor
27cu feet is 3feet x3feet x3feet... Not very big at all... and I can see it being 200lbs easily. Ever try to lift one?