How to set Default DNS Servers?

My O/S is Win98SE, whenever I bootup if my IP Confugration screen is other than "64.126.4.189" I cannot get online with Linksys router. I need to "run" winipcfg.exe to "Release All and Renew All" to obtain the exact DNA Servers.

Where and how to set "64.126.4.189" as default address once and for all, without the need to "Renew All" at every startup. I have update the router's firmware and it's not a router problems. My other computer connected to this router is trouble free with O/S WinXP.

Thank you in advance... I really need help.

Reply to
Jim B

Sorry, posted to wrong ng.

My O/S is Win98SE, whenever I bootup if my IP Confugration screen is other than "64.126.4.189" I cannot get online with Linksys router. I need to "run" winipcfg.exe to "Release All and Renew All" to obtain the exact DNA Servers.

Where and how to set "64.126.4.189" as default address once and for all, without the need to "Renew All" at every startup. I have update the router's firmware and it's not a router problems. My other computer connected to this router is trouble free with O/S WinXP.

Thank you in advance... I really need help.

Reply to
Jim B

Your router should be handling out DNS servers for you. If you want to hard code them, go to your NIC card TCP/IP properties, find the DNS entry, and hard code it in there. I'd give you the exact steps, but I don't have a 98 machine in front of me at the moment. You will have to reboot. Also, you should enter two DNS servers. Check with your ISP to determine what they are.

By the way, you have something configured wrong in either your router or your computer. DHCP is supposed to avoid this problem.

Reply to
mcp6453

Sorry, I posted in the wrong NG and I am extremely grateful that you reply. Yes, I wanna hard code if I can. My NIC card is build-in; VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, mobo; Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ.

In the winipcfg screen I have the following:

DNS Servers - three addresses available, Only 64.126.4.168 will work, and the other two is unless. I would like to hard code it as default.

Adaptor Address - cannot change, IP Address - cannot change, Subnet Address - cannot change, Default Gateway - cannot change, DHCP Servers - cannot change

When I have Tim, I have since forgot how the problems resolve. A few months back when I replaced the mobo, I have never been able go online without changing the Adaptor address.

Questions:

I thought you don't need to config TCP/IP on a cable router as you would normally do in a dialup modem, Linksys's software automatically configure them?

Do I need to config in Control Panel =>Network=>VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and TC/IP? If I do, there is no cable modem or router to config.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Jim B

There are two IP addresses you need be concerned about. Your computers IP address (LAN) and the IP address that is assigned to you by your Internet provider (WAN). The Linksys Router you are using provides Name Address Translation (NAT) to allow communication between the different networks.

Chances are if you are using a cable modem, your Internet Provider is using DHCP which means you have to accept the (external) IP address they automatically assign to you. In this case, you bring up your routers control web page and select "Assign IP address Automatically". Selecting "STATUS" will tell you what this (WAN) address is, in case you are curious. Selecting DHCP Release or Renew may or may not give you a new address (depends on the policies of your Internet Provider).

If you are on DSL, you might have a static IP and you will need to know what it is (from your provider). Set your WAN to STATIC IP.

Now for your local network. If on the Linksys Control you have selected (loca) DHCP ENABLE, the router will start assigning IP address to the computers connect to your router, usually beginning around 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2

Want to know what this is for a particular computer? Go to a Command (DOS) prompt and type:

ipconfig (for Windows Xp)

or for older versions of Windows, type

winipcfg

Windows XP is smart enought to figure out what kind of Network Connection you have (Dynamic or Static) and automatically connect.

Older versions of Windows might require considerable fiddling with the Network Neighborhood Properties, which is too much to describe here.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

I am using cable modem. Control Panel=>Network=>Configuration=>TCP/IP=>properties=>DNS Configuration=>

Enable DNS (click)=>(on Host) Insert ISP=>DNS Server Search Order, add "64.126.4.189".

Reboots a few time to test, online every time without the need "Renew All" IP configuration. BTW, how to bring up "routers control web page and select "Assign IP address Automatically"?

Thank you!

Reply to
Jim B

if you are asking how to do admin of the router itself, you generally will access it by using your browser software and entering the address of the router, often something like "http://192.168.0.1"This address is set at the factory and should be shown in the router installation instructions. If there has been no password applied, you should then be in an administration page.

hth bill

Reply to
bill a

To assign the DNS servers permanently to your card, right click on "network neighborhood", then choose properties, in the list of adapters and protocols that comes up choose tcp-ip for your given NIC. then click properties, the ip properties will pop up, and on one of the tabs you will be able to specify an address for DNS sorry its kinda vague, I'm just doing this from memory. your router should actual be getting two DNS addresses from you ISP (the second is a backup) you may want to enter both of them in the event that your 64.126.4.168 fails or is busy.

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

That's what I did. In TCP/IP=>Properties, I click "DNS Configuration", I click on "Enable DNS", I am force to type my ISP in "Host", left Domain empty and proceed to type "DNS Server Search Order" and click "Add", "64.126.4.168".

After several bootups, DNS always show "64.126.4.168". However, the screen, "Host Name" repeat twice, (example, ISP "world.net"), "world.net,world.net" is that OK?

Going back to TCP/IP again, in TCP/IP screen, if I click on "IP Address", it show "Obtain an IP Address Automatically", what if I click to "specify an "IP Address", should I add my IP Address here?

Thank everyone, sorry again in the wrong ng.

Reply to
Jim B