How to secure object to block wall... ?

I'm trying to attach some wood structures to a block wall. They will have about 50 lbs. of weight. The blue plastic inserts pull out. The holes are 1/4". Any ideas? I want to avoid drilling larger holes but it's not out of the question.
Thanks : -)

Use Tapcons
<< I'm trying to attach some wood structures to a block wall. They will have about 50 lbs. of weight. >>
Here's what I did to mount a big electric service panel a while back: Drilled 1/2 " holes at the mounting screw locations. Used 1/2" maple dowels and epoxied them into the holes, and drilled pilot holes for the screws in the dowels. Inspector checked the set up, broke off a fingernail on some epoxy dribbles on the block, laughed and said something like, "That ought to last a while" and we hung the unit and screwed it down tight. Something like that might work for you. Tapcons are good but they have a tendency to crack softer concrete such as blocks.
HTH
Joe

You can use "Tapcons" in mortar joints or solid sections of blocks. They cut their own threads. - http://tinyurl.com/294p8 Or you can use hollow wall anchors called "Toggle Bolts " that have a spring loaded wing that pops open when you push it thru a hole - http://tinyurl.com/2z8lv Or you can even use "Hollow Wall Anchors" that form a metal mushroom in the hollow wall when you tighten them - http://tinyurl.com/25gdc
Grim
--
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!
My .02 worth:
On 05 Jan 2004, Grim wrote:
I've had great results with these (without looking at the link, I tink we're talking about the same thing, I usually hear them called "lead anchors")...

*or* the dowel rod method that somebody mentioned in another reply. They kept them in place with epoxy, my method is to undersize the hole just a bit, grind or sand a small taper on one end of the dowel plug and then drive it into the hole with a hammer. In either method, it will stay in place and you drill the dowel with a pilot hole for a bigass bolt.

The Tapcons work. It takes two and I had to get an impact drill because the holes are so much better when I'm not pushing and struggling to make the hole. The toggle bolts wouldn't work because the top row of block is filled with concrete. The hollow wall anchors just pulled out too easily but would have been he easiest. I also tried 'liquid nails' which held for a while and actually worked on one wall but not the others. Go figure. It must have been the amount or that one wall had absorbed some moisture. Anyway, thanks to all for the help. I'm really glad to get this thing working finally. It's been an 18 month project starting with bent wire mesh and then I cut block and filled it with mortar to make a kind of pyramid, then fishing line, then whiteboard... : -)
Have you tried these?
http://www.sss-steel.com/shopping/tsCatalog.asp?subY&next=1
Not so quick wrote:

2 words. Unistrut.
Go here: http://www.powers.com/aust/chemical.html
This is not meant as an advertisement. There are alternate brands, I just happen to know these.
Look at mechanical fasteners, tapper/ Zamac nailin/ strap toggle/ pop toggle
The very best would be epoxy anchors. Look at chemical anchors. To use in hollow block, you would need screen tubes and all thread.