How to secure framing to stone foundation

We are looking to replace the basement door in our circa 1800 house. We need to frame out the door space by securing wood studs and headers to the stone foundation (probably granite). Note there is not much good concrete between the stones that can be used for holding nails or screws.
Most of the stuff I see on the Net is about nailing or screwing into either concrete or brick, but not stone.
What is the best way to attach wood to *stone*? - Drilling - if so would a regular hammer drill and masonry bit work? - Nailing with one of those Remington-style cartridge guns? - Adding additional concrete to serve either as "glue" or anchoring material for the new studs? - Other?
I am looking for something that a DIY can do.
blueman wrote:

Hi, some sort of adhesive? Tony
Avoid PAT units (powder actuated tools) There is too much possibility of shattering off the piece of stone that you want to fasten to.
A good commercial hammer drill will make short work of drilling into the stone. Buy the anchors that you intend to use before you start. Look at these :
http://www.powers.com/mechanical.html
wedge bolts work well with an impact gun wall dogs and tappers work with strong variable speed drills/screwguns/battery drills. Expansion anchors work well with sockets or Crescent type wrenches.

Drill into the stone and use anchors. Many types and sizes available. You may want to rent a hammer drill also. If the stone is uneven, use mortar to fill in the voids.

If kid don't stop talkin' so much he'll get his tongue sunburned.

You might try a can of spray foam.
Nick

have an expert look at it in person and advise you
the type of stone needs to be identified
etc.