How to screw in a light bulb.

How many people screw in a light bulb by turning off the light, screwing in the bulb in tight and turning on the light?

This, according to my electrician, is the wrong way.

Apparently, the correct way to screw in a light bulb is to keep power to the socket on and screw the light only until it lights up. This prevents the contact in the base of the socket from getting crushed which makes it harder to get contact with each subsequent bulb.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thank you for sharing that with us Joe. I have been doing it wrong my whole life; I guess I will be seeing dozens of crushed bases any time now from my years of carelessness.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

OMG, another major project! There must be 30 incandescant lamps in this place of mine. :-(

Reply to
PhotoMan

Your electrician is a hack. The proper and accurate way is to use a torque wrench.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillThesailor

No the proper way is hold the bulb and turn the socket

Reply to
mark Ransley

My concern would be that the bulb may not be making good contact with the lamp socket. If the connection is loose, excessive heat will be generated and cause more damage then from overtightening.

Reply to
John Grabowski

"John Grabowski" wrote in news:M%Vnb.28972$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Yes, the best way is to see when it just lights up and then measure the fraction of a turn to where it stops going further, then back off halfway. Europeans say 1/3 of the way, but that's because they use the stupid metric system (220 volts) as opposed to the imperial system (110 volts).

Reply to
Chuckles

Hi, Hello...., Common sense, where are you? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Stupid(?) Metric system has better efficiency. Korea converted to 220V some time ago. They have surplus power, utility company is asking people to use more power. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

TFT. Two Fingers Tight. No tighter than you can turn it with two fingers.

And you shouldn't squeeze too tight on a bulb with 2 fingers.

HTH.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Tony Hwang wrote in news:CnXnb.218245$6C4.31657@pd7tw1no:

I am sorry, but you are an idiot.

Aren't you the same guy who was insisting that light bulbs have significant inductance at 60Hz?

Reply to
Chuckles

It takes two psychiatrists, but the light bulb really has to want to ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Hi, I am sorry, you must be one too. Like kinds always recognize same. Where is this word significant coming from? Reread my posts. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

And here I thought that this was a misdirected fetish-group post due to the subject line.

Reply to
C.J.

Except for the heat from the arc when it makes partial contact, and melts and deforms the solder on the bottom of the bulb.

I prefer to tighten bulbs without power present, because I like a smooth bottom bulb for best contact.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Mitton

How come nobody's pointed out the correct way to "Screw In a Lightbulb" yet? My preferred way is:

Jeff (Who's been waiting a long time for this opening...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A: At least 18 so far.

Reply to
Chia Pet

Were I ever to screw in a lightbulb, I would only want one other person in there. 17 in there would be terribly crowded and distracting.

steve

Reply to
SteveB

My way is best. I hold the bulb high in the air, and the socket, and the whole world revolves around me.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here