How to screw drywall edges?

I'm having problems where the end of a sheet of drywall is screwed into a stud. If I screw the edge down, it usually causes the drywall to crumble and break away from the paper. I'm trying to keep as far from the edge as I can, but it doesn't seem that 3/4 inch (when 2 sheets are butted up at 1 stud) is much to work with. I'm using 1 1/4 inch screws, and an drill attachment that limits the depth of the screw. Do nails work better at the edges? Does anyone have any advice on how to do this better? Thanks!

you could always double up the 2x4 stud at the joints.
danders wrote:

Make sure you're using #6 1-1/4" course thread drywall screws. My guess is that you're using #8 and the extra shaft diameter is causing the problem. If you do have the proper screws, try using a low power (9.6/12v) cordless drill with a regular 2" bit holder and see if you have better luck.
Screws should be 3/8" from the edge of the rock, btw.
I need to buy some more screws anyway, so I'll make sure I get the #6's. Thanks.
On 22 Nov 2004 21:10:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (danders) wrote:

This might be overly simplistic, but since you are keeping the suggested 1/2" from the edge ( http://www.urlbee.com?354 ), then maybe you are breaking the paper by going too deep( I know you said you were at the correct dept, maybe a better correct dept with a smaller head screw).
I was wondering, are you always getting a crumbly edge? Even on the factory sealed edges? Maybe you have bad drywall, or drywall that was exposed to too much mosture?
Sorry, very few answers just more questions. But another posters suggestion of doubling up studs might be a faster way to get the results you want.
later,