How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

Page 3 of 3

Hey, THAT'S scary! "REMOVABLE"? Geez, I've been RELYING on that stuff sticking FOREVER!

Too bad, the Radio Shack of long ago has no resemblance to the Radio Shack of today! Man, I have this big (analog, of course) VOM that I bought whata, 40 years ago, 50?, and it still works PERFECTABLY today.
No longer possible.
--

With luck, they'll still sell something like that.

But a lot cheaper to use a strong refrig-magnet, to either
✖
David Combs wrote:

I've found it to be strong, but soft enough to cut loose.

It looks as if Ace Hardware has the same item for $2, and they'll ship it to you for another $3.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
To magnetize a screwdriver, you need one pole near the tip and the other pole up the shaft. I think a bar or horseshoe magnet would work but not a refrigerator magnet.
The device I purchased doesn't have much of an external magnetic field, so it minds its own business in my toolbox until I need it.
Occasionally, magnetism in a screwdriver is a nuisance. I have used the tool to demagnetize, but laying a screwdriver on a transformer is probably more effective.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/30/2010 11:08 PM, J Burns wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I have one of these in a pouch on my tool bag.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/347ey94
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't understand that part. More explanation?

Thanks!
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 7:18 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

You are fixated on putting the screw inside the can pointing down.
Instead, put the screw through the shelf pointing up.
The advantage is you have plenty of room to work and good visibility.
Pick a screw long enough to stick up maybe a half inch (or centimeter if you're so inclined) past the shelf. I'm thinking a sheet metal self tapper would be a good choice.
Then make a small hole in the can, just big enough to insert the tip of the screw. You'll be able to find the hole with the screw easily, you can feel when you get to the right spot. Once you have the hole in the can over the screw, just twist the can and it will screw itself down over the screw. Sheet metal self tappers are designed to thread themselves into thin metal.
If you ever need to remove it, just grab the outside of the can and unscrew it.
Doing it the other way, with the screw inside the can, means you have the same problem removing it as you did getting it on.
Add pictures here
✖
TimR wrote:

I know! Use a square 1/4" bit to drill a square hole through the bottom of the can and the shelf. Then stick a 1/4-20 x 1-1/4 carriage bolt in the can, lower it into the hole in the shelf, and apply a nut under the shelf!
Add pictures here
✖
David Combs wrote:

I'd add some but I think they got this covered!
Add pictures here
✖

I think so! Pretty good thread I started!
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 29, 11:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Hire someone to hold the can.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

And rent a longer screwdriver!
Add pictures here
✖

Wrong. I need a thiner (thinner? How about "narrower"?) hand.
David
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, this idea was suggested once before, way up in the thread.
THANK YOU!
But a problem now comes to me:
AD I put the can, now right-side-up, down near the wood, I can't SEE the wood-hole. Not even with a flashlight, because the angle-of-view is too nearly flat.
And sliding around the can, with the screw sticking out the bottom, feeling for the hole, won't work for me,' because the wood (pine) grabs onto the screw-point wherever it hits the wood.
(Were the surface steel, no sweat, since the point would slide freely until falling into the hole.)
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 7:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

re: "I can't SEE the wood-hole"
You know, this is getting scary.
You keep knocking the can off the shelf, you can't find the hole in the shelf, you can't get the screw in the hole in the can, etc. etc. etc.
What exactly do you do in this shop of yours?
Add pictures here
✖
David Combs wrote:

Depends on your age. Think Bubble-Gum. Or Denture Adhesive.
Add pictures here
✖
On 29 Jul 2010 23:27:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Scotch tape the screw to the screwdriver, when done just pull it out and the tape will come along (or stay in the can and then use a needlenose. Works great.
Add pictures here
✖