How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

Page 1 of 3

I use tin cans (eg goya beans) for storing pencils and pens of one kind or another. But sometimes it wall fall off the shelf it sits on (or I knock it off), and the pencils end up all over the floor.
So, I decided to screw-down the cans:
I drilled a hoile in the bottom of each one, and then drilled a starter-hole in the (cheap) wood shelf, one per hole.
Now I get the proper wood screw, reach inside the can, stick it through the bottom hole, and into the starter hole, and screw down the can. SIMPLE!
Not so simple!
1: My hand is too big to reach into the can. 2: With needle-nose pliers, I manage to get the screw through the hole (can held up in the air), but am unable to line up the screw with the starter-hole.
Also, when sliding the can around, to find starter hole, the screw will flip out of the hole in the can.
Question: how should I proceed?
Would be nice to have a maagnetic screwdriver -- but I don't.
Or, unbend a paper-clip, stick it through the hole, then with the can held an inch or two above the wood (so I can see the starter-hole), stick the protruding end into the hole, then try to set the can down, and then someohow stick the screw into the double-hole -- but when I try the screwdriver on it, it flips out of the hole.
What to do? Epoxy it to the screwdriver (joke)?
What would YOU do?
Thanks!
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 29, 11:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 29, 11:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Oops...hit send by accident.
Drill the hole in the bottom of the can a bit smaller than the screw, screw the screw into the can, then twist the can into the pilot hole in the shelf to get it started, finish off with a screwdriver.
✖

✖

Use a sheet metal screw instead of a wood screw and R's tip will work even better.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for the pickup. I thought it, but the instructions didn't seem to arrive at my fingertips. I think my pillow is calling me.
✖
I'd use a magnetic nutsetter, and zip screws. The sheet metals screws HVAC guys use with six sided heads. But then, I've got the nut setter and the zip screws already. This project is a good excuse to buy yourself a magnetic nut setter or two. Think of the children, man!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

But a sheet-metal screw is pretty flat at the biting-end, not tapered-down like a wood-screw. So how do I make it grab the wood as (trying to) screw it into the wood?
David
Add pictures here
✖
David Combs wrote:

Geez...
Use a nail. Put a block of wood on it and hammer the damned thing in.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

re: "hammer the damned thing in"
He can't. There are other things on the shelf that keep falling off when he uses the hammer. He can't secure them because he can't get the screw into them either. He can't hammer them in because the pencil can keeps falling off when he uses the hammer.
It's a vicious circle.
Add pictures here
✖

Actually I suspect the real reason for not using a hammer is that he doesn't know how.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Oh. One of those. Like the blonde who wants you to work hard so you can buy her stuff then complains because you don't spend anytime with her.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yeah..like that. :-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:24:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

How about take the shelf down?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 3:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I suspect you are just trolling but...Every sheet metal screw I ever saw has a point on it. I also don't get the 'drill a starter hole'. Geez this project calls for a small screw. I wouild even use a "drywall" screw. As for the 'screwdriver to short" Give me a break!
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

I think he's referring to a self-tapping screw. They don't have a pointy end.

I always use pilot holes. It makes for a stronger connection. If he's using self-tapping screws, it's sorta mandatory. Well, either that or a checkup from the neck up. ;-)

"We're gonna need a bigger screwdriver!"
Add pictures here
✖

I like it!
Add pictures here
✖

HEY, that's pretty cool!
It's those obvious ones that I never think of!
Thank you!
David
Add pictures here
✖
David Combs wrote:

I'd use a drywall screw on the end of the magnetic bit holder I have in both of my electric drill motors.
It would be done in less time that it is taking me to write this message.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu 29 Jul 2010 08:27:26p, David Combs told us...

So buy one. Or buy a screwdriver with retainer clips to hold the head. SIMPLE as that!
Most people know if they have the right tool for the job, the job is easy.

✖