How to rig a pulley system with a timer......

I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be removed gradually from the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended with nylon or cotton line and wind the line onto the stem of the motor or some sort of spool. I don't want to spend much and it would be ideal if the motor had adjustable slow RPM's. Would be okay if I could scavenge from something easy to find.

The time would be pretty easy w/ one of the household security lighting mechanical timers if don't need it to be exceptionally precise (which doesn't sound as though would be).
A variable speed motor could be arranged by manipulating a variable speed drill it would seem with some cams, etc., ...
On 1/15/2009 10:30 AM Norminn spake thus:

Here are my links to places that sell gearmotors:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrecU&sort=1&keyword=GIDD&catname=electric&UID 08112017294502 http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/category.cfm/subsection/18 http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/400400/Motors/DC-Gear-Motors/1.html http://www.surplustraders.net/a/0184.shtml
--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?numrecU&sort=1&keyword=GIDD&catname=electric&UID 08112017294502

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/400400/Motors/DC-Gear-Motors/1.html

more quickly). I had not remembered that there are still clocks with hands. Just a couple of months ago, I made a new wall clock for the kitchen. Is a battery clock motor strong enough? Would a cheap electrical clock be more or less strong? I guestimate the weight of the wet fabric to be no more than a pound, but I don't know about pulleys and torque and all that stuff.

I doubt the $2.00 clock mechs you can get at craft stores will lift anywhere near a pound. You might need something like a grandfather clock mech, which might run you more than you want to spend.
Besides, you asked for "adjustable RPMs" While some clocks mechs have a "faster-slower" adjustment, I'm guessing the amount of adjustment would be minuscule.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:56:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I have a variety motors laying around from cordless tools, microwave ovens, etc, some operate with DC voltage where the speed can be adjusted easily with a variable resistor.

head motor will work. Mail order outfits like Hosfelt and All Surplus sell these pretty cheap. Adjustable is tougher. That either gets you to a stepper motor, gear head DC motor or some kind of variable frequency drive cobbled up from a 555 or similar time base.

Attach a bucket to the line and a couple of pulleys. Trickle water into the bucket from a slow hose.
As the bucket fills, the fabric will be drawn out. Adjust the length of the line and speed of the trickle to match your needs.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:37:50 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I like your idea but would get a plastic bucket as an Ice Cream container. Fill the bucket with water with a hole in the bucket. Fill the bucket and put time markings on it. Fill to the time desired. Use the bucket as the timer.
RLM wrote:

Unless you know the formula for amount of water, size of holes in bucket, etc. Thanks.