how to reply to older topics?

Hi, This isn't really 'home repair', but I'm wondering. If I look at newer posts, there is a 'Reply' hot link I can click on to reply to the post and add to the thread. On older threads, there is no 'reply' hot link.
Is there a way to add to older threads? When does the 'reply' link go away? Thanks

That must be a function of how you are reading the posts. With outlook express, as long as you can see a post, you can reply to it. Looks and feels like eMail. Might have to download headers a few times to get the whole thread though, older threads often show up with only the last days worth of posts if you don't.
How are you accessing this NG? Is there a newsgroup for that specific reader?

He's probably using Google groups on the web. It has a reply link on each posting.
To the OP: get a regular newsreader and access the newsgroup that way. Then you can reply to any message. A good newsreader is Forte's Free Agent, available for download on the web. Free for individuals. Google for it by name.
But, frankly, replying to very old messages is usually pointless, as the poster has probably fixed the problem or lost interest and moved on.
autonut843, 2/16/2006,11:12:51 AM, wrote:

I don't like using Google Groups for usenet but it is handy for finding archived messages. You will find a newsreader to be much more efficient and useful. Personally I like Xananews but there are many good free newsreaders. You already have one on your machine with Outlook Express if you use Windows.
If you prefer to use Google Groups there should be a hyperlink above the message titled "options" or "show options". that may have what you're looking for.
Thanks you two. You are right, I am using Google Groups. I'll look in to getting/using some of the newsreaders you are talking about.
I understand what you mean about the OP having fixing the problem or lost interest and moved on. Maybe I use these unconventionally, but if I have a problem I'm trying to resolve, I like being able to search the groups since normally someone else has already crossed this bridge. If I saw something that I wanted to add my 2 cents on in case someone else comes along after me, I wanted to be able to do that.
Thanks again!

I do the same thing. I only use Google to research old posts, but read and post messages using Outlook Express which is as easy as any of the basic readers and was already on my machine.
Jay