How to replace shelves in kitchen cabinets.

Hi,

In my house the kitchen cabinets are fine but the shelves are sagging. I can't see how the shelves were installed into the cabinets as they are too large to fit through the doors.

All I can think is that the shelves were added before the backs of the cabinets were screwed on.

Has anyone faced this problem before and have a suggestion on how I can replace the shelves on these kitchen cabinets?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex

alex wrote on 03 Sep 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

The shelves are likely mounted in dados (grooves) in the side panels, probably with both glue and staples. Further glue and staples attach the shelves to the back and front. They're most likely made from particle board.

You'll have a tough time getting the old shelves out without damaging the cabinets. First, you'll have to take them off the wall -- a two-man job at least. Then, you'll have to remove the back and try to get the shelves to come out. If they're well-fastened, you may have to break them to get them out. Then you have to clean out the dados, cut new shelves to fit, and mount them with more glue and fasteners. All-in-all, you'll wish you had just bought new cabinets.

I recommend you put supports under the existing shelves. Cut some 1x2 poplar to fit across the width of the shelf, then nail it narrow-side-up at the front, back, and middle (if needed) of the shelf.

You can also check with a local cabinet shop about having new carcasses made to which you can apply your existing face frames and doors.

Reply to
Steve

Good advice indeed, but cabinet removal is easily a one man job if you get a HelpingHand (or whatever it's called) support from Amazon.com. It will hold the cabinets for installation, too...definitely a remodelers tool. I've found that backings can usually be popped off since few manufacturers bother with glue, just staples. Same way with shelves if you're lucky. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

More likely, the shelves went in before the front frames went on. What is the body of the cabinet made of, and how old are they? If these are typical modern chipboard crap (printed woodgrain over particle board), the shelves probably can't be replaced in any practical manner, since the whole thing is basically glued together. You could try screwing cleats to the sides, and piecing in the shelves using strips of suitable wood maybe 8" wide.

I'd only sink money and time into an attempted repair if the boxes themselves were real wood in good condition. Otherwise, I'd cut some pieces of dowel rod to jam-fit in there to prop up the sags, and start saving up for new cabinets.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi,

thanks for all the info but I should have been more exact. The shelves are free and mounted on shelf pins. You know the shelf support type that fit into a little hole.

So I could cut the shelves and get them out but I can't see how to get new shelves in there because of their length. That's the problem.

Do cabinet makers generally put shelves in before the back in screwed in?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex

Can you:

1) remove the pins.

2) rotate the shelves (front down, back up) so that they are vertical.

3) put the right end (say) into the right rear corner, and pull the left end out. ?

or, if that doesn't work, and these are not double cabinets:

1) remove all the pins

2) drop all but the upper most shelf to the bottom,

3) take the top shelf and raise the left (say) end to the corner of the opening. Keep the right end at the bottom. Does it clear the corner?
Reply to
M Q

The shelves almost have to have been put in place after the cabinets were put together and in place. You should be able to turn the shelves up and then swing the ends, one toward rear corner and the other toward a front corner. I have the same kind in my kitchen cabs, but not very long.

Reply to
Norminn

In that case, you CAN get them out through the front. Empty them out, pull all the pins, and maybe one of the doors. Rotate the shelf to a vertical position, blocking the doors. Push one end to the back. You should now have enough clearance at the other end to bring it out through the door opening, unless the shelf is deeper than the door is tall. Fabricate new shelfs of stiffer wood, like plywood with a hardwood front trim, and replace. Getting in back in will take 3 hands, to juggle shelf and place the pins back under it.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Tip them.

Reply to
dadiOH

I replaced my sagging particleboard shelves with real wood. I had to remove by doors in order to get the shelves out.

Reply to
scott21230

I'm assuming you are smart enough to have thought of the suggestions offered, and therefore they won't work. (but I could be wrong.)

You cuold probably think of this one too, but consider just flipping each shelf over. If it was sagging before, it will sag up now and eventually get back to neutral. I've done this with my linen closet.

I flipped the shelf. Then I nailed a piece of one by two or smaller in the middle of the back so after it got back to neutral it wouldn't go any lower. So far so good.

(I used my stud finder to find the stud to nail that thing, and then I couldn't find my stud finder for 6 months, so be careful. :) )

Reply to
mm

replying to mm, JR wrote: My shelves are not sagging but the their smooth finish and front edges are deteriorated, can I use a laminate or a veneer over it just to make it look better and smooth.

Reply to
JR

What are they made of? What are they covered with? What do you mean the front edges have "deteriorated"?

If they are rounded or chipped, i.e. the face is no longer square with the top, you'll have trouble using any kind of laminate or veneer because it won't have a solid backing.

You could build them up and re-square the edge or use a trim router and round them off beyond the chips and wear. Then you could skim coat, paint and line the shelves to protect them.

Knowing what they are made of and what is wrong with them would help.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Going by experience they are most likely melamine coated termite spit. Most likely adjustable/removeable too - in which case it is relatively simple to replace them. Solid lumber capped baltic ply makes the best replacement shelves.

Reply to
clare

Could be, mine aren't.

Could be, mine aren't.

Could be, although a pain to install in stick built cabinets like mine.

Most likely an answer from JR would be the most revealing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Agree. If they are the basic removable, cheap cabinet shelf, the easiest thing would probably be to go to a local cabinet supplier and buy replacement ones. I guess buying some veneer strips that's available at HD and gluing it on to just the edges could be an option too, if that's all that's wrong with them.

Reply to
trader_4