how to replace old canister ceiling light fixtures

Hi, Just moved into a 23 year old condo that has NO access to the wireing above the ceiling. If it wasn't installed 23 years ago during construction, then the owner has to work with what is ther.
Most of my overhead lights (cannister ones) have burned out. I removed the old spots which ere different sizes and certainly are not Energy Efficient. Can I screw in the new energy efficient flourescents if they will not stick out over the lip? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
Typically, open recessed fixtures use reflector floods. You can buy CF lamps made to resemble reflector floods in R-30 and R-40 sizes.

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 14:04:24 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

I have cfl's in some of my recessed lights. When I did it, I only used them on NON-dimmer controled cans. There are dimmable ones, but they are expensive for me.
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com