how to repair windshield scratches

My daughter came home from school and she has 2 wiper scrape..What do you do to try to remove them. Or help remove them.. You think she hears it scratching she would stop and get fixed. Also email me raveatusit.net email me
Fatdaddy wrote:

Depends on how deep they are. If they'll stop your fingernail when you drag it across them, there's really nothing you can do but replace the windshield. There are products available to fill such things, but unless they're professionally applied they're guaranteed to look like hell, and even when a professional does the work it's often less than satisfactory.
If they're not that deep, try Googling Novus. They make good plastic and glass scratch removal products.
Incidentally, don't be surprised that your daughter didn't hear the scratching. If my wife comes in telling me her car is making a noise, I go look at it *right then*, because if she's complaining about it on her own initiative then man, is it loud. She's just not particuarly attuned to how her car sounds. Could be same story with your daughter.
--
Bo Williams - snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net
http://hiwaay.net/~williams /
Fatdaddy wrote:

Assuming you have an electric drill:
Last summer my teen age son bought a used Honda Civic with a pretty severe wiper scratch on the windshield. I couldn't stand the look of it.
I bought this polishing kit from J.C. Whitney:
<http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000163373/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000163373/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000163373
It worked as advertised. Took about half an hour, being careful not to bear down too hard, I didn't want to spot heat the glass through friction and hear it go crack.
When I was a kid there were guys who would travel around to the used car lots and polish scratches out of glass using the same kind of equipment. I think that breed has probably died out.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff,
You have me intrigued with the J.C.W. scratch polishing kit.
Would you please elaborate just a bit more: Scratch length and depth? How noticeable was it after your repair?
Thanks.
One of my father's good friends from the factory had a weekend side business "removing" defects at used car lots many years ago. I wish I had quizzed him and observed his technique when he was alive - he did some touch up on glass damage. He also rolled back odometers. He also "regrooved" the treads on bald tires. Etc.
I'm guessing that such guys still exist. The used car dealers pay extremely well for these services. Many don't want to risk doing such "enhancements" on site and they don't want to have the equipment on their property. My dad's friend would take a recent arrival from the used car lot on a "test drive", drive it to his garage to do his dirty deeds, return the car to the lot, and receive his payment. Then he'd "test drive" the next new arrival from the car lot....
He got scared off for a year or so many years ago when the feds clamped down on odometer tampering and such, but the income was just too attractive and he couldn't resist getting back into his side business.
Gideon
Cerium oxide and a felt pad. It is very possible to grind distortion into the glass. The method is not recommended for scratches that can be felt.

finally! someone besides me sees the logic in top posting! Bottom posting forces you to scroll down every time you open a post(except the original of course) when you follow the conversation from the beginning. Eric
DanG wrote:

--
Byte=8 bits, a kilobyte is 1024 bytes
There is no such thing as a kibibit,mebibit etc
Eric wrote:

You don't have to scroll if you'll take the ten seconds necessary to edit out all but the last paragraph or two.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Eric wrote:

There are languages that read from right to left. There are even a few that read from the top down. No culture has ever developed a bottom-up literature.
For example, look how foolish your post looks when applying the "bottom-first" methodology:
--- begin quote Eric conversation from the beginning. a post(except the original of course) when you follow the Bottom posting forces you to scroll down every time you open finally! someone besides me sees the logic in top posting! --- end quote

The Associated Press news queues ALWAYS put the newest story or correction at the top of the queue.
BB
Gideon wrote:

There were two or three parallel arced scratches closely spaced (1/32" or so) to each other spanning about a third of one wiper's sweep. I'm guessing maybe a wiper blade fell right off or the rubber part tore off, and the driver let metal rub against the glass for a while.
They were just feelable with a fingernail, which is probably why it took a bit of work to polish them completely out.
The results were excellent. As far as "distortion" goes, all windshields have *some* distortion, and window glass is to look *through*, not *at*. Your eyes are far enough away from the windshield so that any distortion of the view caused by polishing out those kind of scratches is quickly lost in the clutter and motion of what's moving by in front of you.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Do a search on CERIUM OXIDE which is the abrasive powder used to "remove" scratches on windshields.
This is in the kit from JCWhitney mentioned below
Ask your insurance company or an auto glass place for a guy who does WS ding repairs. They may do it.
Zing wrote:

Yes. A lot of agencies will pay for rock chip repair (saves em from having to replace the windshield when it cracks). I don't know if they will do it for scratches but certainly worth a try.
Harry k

Here in Houston, there is a guy in a pickup truck on every street corner that repairs cracked chipped scratched windshields.
I had one of them fix my daughters Audi and he had a kit for everything. He used the cigarette lighter for power.