How to repair melamine board

I have a shelving system where the vertical members are melamine boards. When I took one apart the screw was stucked and when I pull it out it took a small chuck of the board with it. Is there a way to repair this? Should I fill it with wood filler and sand it back down?
Thanks,
orangetrader wrote:

That will help cosmetically, of course, but it won't do a whole lot in the way of restoring the support which was prodided by that screw. It's kind of like trying to patch cracking concrete or mortar, where the fix is only as good as what it is sticking to. Once you start chipping layers off of that stuff, the ones below it are prone to ripping away next.
You might want to patch it and then install a new screw about an inch to one side or the other for support.
--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.

you 'could' put a small L bracket under it..

Jeezus a new piece of melamine aint THAT expensive, is it ???
--

SVL

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:12:42 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

Neither is solid wood. And that you can repair if you need to.
It will be difficult because this is not a standard board, but part of a piece of finished furniture that I have taken apart. The board size is not standard and it's about two and a half inches thick and it has hardware embedded in it on both sides because it is a vertical member of a shelving storage system. So the only choice I have is to repair it.