How to repair garage door weatherstrip?

Hi, the rubber weatherstrip under my garage door is breaking apart. How do I replace or repair it? Do I have to remove the 2 wheels on either side of the door in order to remove the weatherstrip from the door? Here are some pictures:

Thanks

Reply to
dchou4u

Hi, Take it off and buy a replacement.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

tnom

Hardware store or a garage door sales/repair organization. You need a good stapler/tacker and LONG staples. The stuff comes in a couple of different widths, so get the right one -- either measure, or bring a sample. The width is the bottom of the door, NOT the seal itself. Make sure the bottom of the door is clean, etc., so that the seal fits well. Total time, maybe 1/2 hour, not counting the trip to the store.

/paul

Reply to
deadgoose

Your last photo makes it look like the channel may be damaged. Most modern doors have a channel into which the rubber piece slides. If you can get the old one out, clean the grooves the new one should slide right in. I am fairly sure I have seen the rubber replacement parts at Lowes and HomeDepot for about $20.

If you need to replace the channel I suspect you will still need to get the old seal out and I imagine it is screwed to the bottom of the door.

Anything is better than nothing in the winter. I would work on this is the Spring.

Reply to
Colbyt

I recently replaced the seals under three doors at my house ... went to LOWE'S .. they wanted a little over $2/ft ... checked with a local door company .. they charged $1/ft and it looks/feels like a better quality product. If you do have the type where the seal slides into a grooved aluminum channel, you'll need to pry open the ends of the channel a bit to get the old stuff out ... most installers shove the seal in place .. smash the ends to anchor it .. then cut it off.

I pulled fresh seals .. wrapped & tucked the ends so they don't need to be smashed ... THEN ... I did something that I thought was fairly smart ... I took a piece of garden hose and inserted it into the end of the seal, and pushed it through to the other side. It gives the bottom of the door more "give" and it seems to seal better. It also compensates for rough or uneven floors.

Reply to
"<<<

Lowes has been a bit aggressive with pricing in the last 6 months. HomeDepot and local suppliers have gotten a good bit of my recent business. Just because I have an account does not mean I don't still shop.

Great tip about the garden hose.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt