How to repair cut in vinyl floor

I have a clean cut in a vinyl floor that I would like to repair. The vinyl was not glued down.
The only suggestions I have found oon the web suggest cutting out and replacing the damaged area. If I do that I will have 4 cuts (the sides of the patch" rather than one. I am hoping there is a way to put an adhesive under the floor around the slit and then press the vinyl down. Some glue may then come up and have to be cleaned off.
What kind of glue should I use. Can it be cleaned after it is cured (after I take off the weight that is pressing the floor down)? What should be used to clean off the glue?
I have read about a seam sealer - should I use some?
Am I on the wrong track altogether?
Many thanks for any help.
On Jul 21, 9:29 am, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Standard solvent cement for PVC plumbing will work. Masking tape to confine the solvent and keep it off the surface should be considered. As for means of applying, a hypodermic needle, aerosol spritzer tube, whatever. HTH
Joe
Thanks for your reply.
What I see happening is that when the vinyl is pressed down some glue will come up through the crack and get on top of the vinyl and will need to be cleaned off. Some cleanet that will not damage the vinyl is needed.

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

I believe Joe means the surface immediately adjacent to the cut - as in right up to the edge of the cut, either side - should be masked.
Yours aye, W. Underhill
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:29:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

I haven';t used it but I think that is what you need. It's meant to be applied so that only the edge melts and fuses to the adjoining edge. If it is the same as PVC solvent, you may be able to find out. Then you wouldn't have to buy something new (assuming you alreaady have pvc solvetn
A big difference between a hypodermic needle and a spritzer. Use a needle or whatever it says on the container of seam sealer.
If you reply below this text, I and others will be able to follow and participate in the conversation.

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote on 21 Jul 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

If your cut is short, you don't need to put glue underneath. If it's long, then at your hardware store, you'll find a bucket of adhesive made to hold down resilient flooring. Push a little under both sides of the cut with a putty knife, then roll the floor to distribute it. The container will tell you how to clean up the glue that oozes out. It's usually soap and water or paint thinner.
Whether your cut is short or long, you need to seal it so it doesn't come loose again. Get a seam kit from the hardware store. The instructions will explain exactly what to do. The last one I bought included some cleaner, felt pads to rub with, and two bottles of chemicals that are mixed to to make an active sealer. The stuff melts the vinyl it touches, allows the edges to flow together, and hardens. If you do it carefully, it won't be obvious.
Let us know how it goes.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement