how to repair corner cracks in drywall

have several small cracks in the corners, have openened them up and planning to fill with all purpose joint compound and smooth... I don't know if this is the best way...will the cracks come back?

Reply to
gaffer

You need to tape them. Some people waste their money on fiberglass or paper tape. Simply coat with compound, imbed regular household toilet paper into the compound, recoat. Done! It's a real money saver.

Reply to
Home Guy

I use the fiberglass myself. Not costly and cracks don't redevelop.

Reply to
Frank

essage

Toilet paper? Toilet paper is made to degrade when in contact with water. So, now you take your taping knife and try to work it and the paper comes apart. Like a couple bucks for a roll of the right product is too much to pay for a guy fixing some cracks? Another example of what you see on Holmes on TV. What's next, make your own paint?

Reply to
trader4

Last first...depends on why they came in the first place.

If the house continues to move/settle, then, yes, it's likely some will redevelop. If, otoh, it's new construction and they're the result of some initial shrinkage/movement and now it has reached an equilibrium point, then odds are pretty good a good repair will hold for quite a while. Obviously can't know from here what is the situation...

As another said, you'll want to retape them or they definitely will develop the hairline cracks again. Also +1 for the fiberglass tape for the purpose--it's a little more of a pita to use but it does have some flex beyond that of the paper tape. Definitely a -100 on the tp suggestion--that's worthless, indeed. :(

Reply to
dpb

message

Thinking about it, he may have a point, addition of the paper fibers to the joint compound may help retard cracking. The fiber glass would be better though.

I have not had to fix a crack in years since using the glass tape but prior to that they would constantly reopen due to the settlement stresses in corners.

Reply to
Frank

Superglue should creep easily into the cracks, and will probably 'go off' within a few seconds.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Corner cracks are usually caused because the last guy did not fill the voids. Fill them fully, tape them properly and have no more crack. Just say no to crack.

At the risk of sounding like self promotion, read this:

Colbyt

Assuming they are hairline or very fine cracks, best fix is paintable caulk....there will ALWAYS be movement at corners, at least from expans/contraction with temperature. The corners need to flex. Spackle will hide them temporarily but isn't flexible, so will eventually crack.

Reply to
Norminn

Have you seen the TP shortcut on Holmes? I fact, have you ever watched the program? An unwarranted criticism like that makes your credibility very low.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Like it takes that much to make his credibility low?

Reply to
clare

Wow! That's a big crack!

Reply to
krw

Mabee that awfull pink stuff you get in France - about 120 grit on 16 lb paper.

Reply to
clare

When they built my house I think they used cheap drywall that wasn't fully cured (or something). It was built in 1983. Several cracks formed in the corners. I just took some quality acrylic caulk and filled them about 7 or 8 years ago and they are gone. As easy as that. Since then I've used caulk in corner joints on a remodel. I'm looking at the remodel right now and the joints look just fine. You'd never know the difference. If the crack is wide you'll have to fill it in stages. Do one application. Let it fully dry. Then do it again. Much easier than taping and I would dare anyone to tell the difference.

Reply to
Jim T

No. There can be a problem when joining porous materials, but even this can be largely overcome by applying moisture.

If it is needed to fill cracks in the material itself, superglue usually works well. It will readily creep into the cracks. Apply repeatedly until the cracks are full. If it is rather reluctant to 'go off', simply moisten afterwards by applying a drop or two of water.

Reply to
Ian Jackson