How to repair a vinyl softub

Hi, My softub is vinyl and I am having a heck of a time battling wrinkes. I have used a hot blow dryer, boiling water, but after they both cool off the wrinkles reappear.I even put brinks on the wrinkles to try to flatten them. I also tried a plunger with no positive results. I'm now looking at Plan B - I'm thinking of cutting out the centre vinyl piece (where all the wrinkles are) and replacing it with a big round vinyl patch. The inside diameter of my vinyl softub is 152 cm (holds

1000 litres of water) so I think a partial vinyl replacement should be achievable. I've never worked with vinyl or know what would be good waterproof bonding substance to use to attached the new vinyl to the old vinyl. However, I would assume it should be no different than repairing a vinyl swimming pool liner? I'm willing to do this on my own, however, I need some guidance and helpful tips. Thanks so much, in advance. Barb R.
Reply to
baramsay

baramsay

Reply to
baramsay

spaguy had written this in response to

: Softub liners are pieces of pleather (vinyl with a leather-like finish) stitched to a piece of 25-30mil liner which has been seamed together to fit the inside of your tub. Softub makes 3 different sizes 140, 220, and

300 referring to the gallonage (I don't know what this equates to in litres). The wrinkles you are experiencing are caused by a combination of low pH and low alkalinity which tends to pull the elasticizers out of the plastic compounds. Once this happens the wrinkles are permanent. The only real answer is to buy a complete softub replacement vinyl. I would not recommend trying to buy a piece of vinyl to attach to the outside pleather section of the tub's liner. You will not be happy with the results. You can search for and find these replacement vinyls online at various places. It is well-worth the price.

Lee S.

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 324555 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to