How to remove wood veneer

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to remove wood veneer from an old cedar woodbox. Nothing fancy. It is too much work to sand it off, so I've been using a sharp 1" chisel, but it is really slow going. Is there an easier way to remove wood veneer (eg, by loosining the glue somehow)? Thanks,
-- Jeff
try steam from an iron maybe?
randy

On 31 Aug 2004 14:20:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote:

Depends on the glue that was used, but if it was hide glue or similar, some heat will soften it right up.
BB

a lot of veneer is put on with contact cement.

Failing that, a 2' plane would probably go faster and with less chance of catastrophe than a 1" chisel.
Try www.homesteadfinishing.com and use the "repair & restoration" forum. Post to rec.woodworking as well.
On 31 Aug 2004 14:20:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote:

towel over the veneer and went over it with a hot iron. The steam losened it right up. Had tried this with a steam iron and it did not work as well.