how to remove vinyl bathroom floor

I need to remove and replace the bathroom vinyl floor. There is water leak from the tub into below the vinyl floor and cause the vinyl to change darken color. I heard that its impossible to remove vinyl floor and need to cut out the entire particle board wooden sub-floor. Is this correct? Thank you for your advise.
if the subfloor is wet, it should come up pretty easily. bust, don't wate your time...fix the leak, rip up the floor and, put down new sub and a new floor. sorry...

Don't rip up the subfloor just the underlayment above it. Its usually 1/4" particle board. You need to verify what you have underneath before you adjust you circular saw for a 1/4" deep cut and let her rip.
I think you're screwed (very time consuming to remove that is) if its glued directly to the subfloor.
I also have a small corner by the bathtub that needed to be repaired but I try to remove just that portion of the vinyl and damaged wood and patch it up with a matching section. May end up ripping the whole bathroom floor or lay another floor (laminate) over the existing vinyl, but I'll try to save it first.
seems like the vinyl is glued to the bathroom floor. How can I tell for certain? Only 3 square inches of the bathroom changes color. How do I remove & replace the entire bathroom vinyl, many be with ceramic tile?

Remove the entry transition piece at the bottom of the bathroom door and have a look if you can. Otherwise you could use a hole saw and drill down 1/4" at the damaged area.

Most likely it has a 1/4" particle board underlayment, use a circular saw as suggested below.
I wouldn't put tile on second floor, usually cracks given enough time due to house movement but that's just me.

If you do not recommend tile, what do you recommend for bathroom floor, other than vinyl?

wrote in message

My mistake. Is vinyl and laminate flooring the same thing?

no http://doityourself.com/laminate/index.shtml

whats causing the leak? bad caulking, showerbody dripping behind the wall and underneth?
--
whodat
What is the difference between laminate and vinyl flooring? Are they the same stuff?

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:23:26 GMT, "A. Jacobs"

"Pergo" is laminate, a plastic, glue or click together flooring that comes in planks, most often with a woodgrain pattern but also available to look like ceramic tile.
Although, technically speaking, most vinyl flooring is laminated with two or more distinctly different layers, it is considered sheet flooring unless you are using individual vinyl squares.
DJ
A. Jacobs wrote:

Keep it simple. Install 1/4" Hardibacker over the existing vinyl/underlayment and tile over that.
Yesterday, I went to Lowes and check their vinyl floor. I found the back of plastic is actually made of paper type of material. It can be easily peel apart. Is all vinyl floor is made like that?

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:20:54 +0000, A. Jacobs wrote:

I just ripped up all the vinyl in my house (~500sq.ft.). Yes, it had the same "paper" on the back. No, it disn't easily peel apart. ...hardly! WAPITA :-(
--
Keith

What kind of tool are you using? Are you saying it "IS NOT" easy to peel the vinyl off? I only have a 3.5' x 4.5' small bathroom?