How to remove the toilet flange plug?

In a new construction I have two toilet flanges. Both have this plug I have never seen before. It is on pretty solid. It has a little tab on it sticking up. I tried to pull on the tab with pliers but it won't come off and I'm worried I'll break it. How do you take these things off?
message

Hold the tab with pliers while hitting inside the rim with a hammer so the big pieces dob't go down the chute.
A third hand allows one to use a dull punch or chisel to better control the blows.
Colbyt

Use large size ViseGrips on the tab, then follow Colbyt's advice.
Joe