how to remove the old blade from a used circular saw?

Hi just bought a used Craftsman circular saw.

Model: 315.108400

11AMP 7.25 inch blade type.

Anyway, trying to remove the old blade from the saw, and so I am using that wrench socket thing that came with the saw to try and unbolt that bolt and the whole blade just keeps spining.

Is there a trick to locking that blade down so you can use the wrench to loosen the nut and remove the old blade?

Or did I just bought myself an unusable saw?

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Put a piece of wood or stout plastic in the blade and rotate it around until it jambs against the shoe when you rotate counterclockwise.

BTW, if try loosening it both clockwise and counterclockwise, just in case the bolt has leftie threads.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Hold down the saw blade from spinning with your thumb or hand as you use that Allen wrench (that's what that "wrench socket thing" is called; turn it in a counterclockwise direction) to unbolt the blade. It should loosen right nice. If the bolt housing keeps spinning when you do this, you have an unusable saw.

Make sure you do this with the saw unplugged, too -- just in case.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Well, that's just it. It keeps spinning as I use the wrench on it. Why is this unusable? U don't mean to say the gear is messed up inside do you? I picked this up at a flea market. I didn't think of trying to get the blade out when I picked it up. After all its a Craftsman and the whole concept seems very simple. Never thought the housing could be broken.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

*What* keeps spinning? The blade? Or does the blade slip and the bolt turns the motor?

You can always use an impact wrench on it; just make sure you turn it the right direction!

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

(sigh)

People are jerking you around (or are stupid?)

There will be a small hole in the blade. Stick the biggest screwdriver you have that will fit through that hole into that hole so that the steel shaft is parallel to the bottom edge of the saw.

Turn the bolt counterclockwise to loosen it.

That "clink/thud" you here will be the screwdriver smacking up against the bottom of the saw. It will hold the blade in place so you can loosen the bolt.

Repeat as needed for tightening.

HTH.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Well, Sam, if you're saying that the whole circular housing within the hole of the blade keeps spinning while you're holding your hand tight against the blade (thereby stopping the blade itself from moving), no mattr which way you turn the Allen wrench, there's something wrong.

If this indeed the case, take the whole mess down to the power tool section your nearest Sears store. Bob Vila tells us Craftsman shit is guaranteed for life, so it might be interesting to see what sort of hoops you have to jump thru to get a brand new circular saw.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Hi HTH, I just got the bolt loosen just now using the screwdriver method. However I have to tell you, there is no hold in the blade itself. What I did was jammed the screw driver against the teeth of the blade. That's right I stick the screw driver in where the teeth is, then when I used the wrench the bolt spin the blade a little so that the teeth jammed against the screw driver thereby holding it in place and I was about to loosen the bolt and then remove the blade.

However my question of concern is still whether the saw is useable or not. When applied with electricity the thing moves. Its ok right???

Reply to
Sam Kaan

See? This is what you get when this country lets in foreigners who scratch off the dots on their womenfolks' foreheads, find a 7 or 11 under it, and win a convenience store in America. They're great at selling diapers for $22 a bundle and ice at $10 a bag, but it hasn't occured to them that a screwdriver isn't an Allen wrench.

Go figure. America's still a fine place regardless, tho.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

OK, with this post I have learned my lesson when it comes to assuming that there may actually be clueless home-owning dolts just finding this NG who have never actually been exposed to the different facets of owning real, live power tools. ;)

Hey, maybe Rapala makes a lure we guys can use on stupid chicks, too, eh?

My apologies to Isheetz. Charge every stupid Anglo who wanders into the store $10 for a pack a Camels instead of the customary $6, and $3 for a pack of matches. We basically deserve it.

MUHAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAA.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Don't treat yourself too hard you know. Like every trade, there are new comers and people who are experts such as I-zheet. I am humble in admitting I know not much about these tools. So there you go. Just take it easy.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Only C*****man hand tools are covered under the unlimited warranty, not power stuff. Cutting tools also aren't covered. (But funny thing, files and cold chisles are). There are many other holes in the warranty, like torque wrenches and vices aren't unlimited.

I've taken back several times my weight busted sockets, extensions, ratchets (they give rebuilt ratchets for warranty exchange now), screwdrivers, files, punches and chisels... all used in hard continuous commercial use. I did the buying part way back in the 70's, and I'm sure I've saved many thousands of dollars over the years by utilizing their most excellent warranty.

C*****man stuff isn't suitable for some jobs, but for most homeowner needs, it's fine. I've never been a fan of their power stuff... or pretty much anything they don't warranty for life. Their warranty doesn't cover anything you lose either... so you gotta be carefull about that.

Their bent, busted or worn out tools you find at garage sales and the like for a song are also a good buy, as you can return them for new.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:24:29 -0600 zxcvbob posted:

Good advice.

In a lot of cases, it pays to try tightening a bolt if loosening it won't work. Although if it really does have right handed threads, I don't think it likely to help in this particular case.

Another thing is to use a bigger wrench or, dare I say it, put a pipe on a smaller wrench (one you don't mind breaking if necessary, although I suppose if you are weak in the first place, a pipe 2 times as long only makes you as strong as someone who is strong. So you won't break anything.)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

When you try to use the saw does it spin ok? If you try to cut a wood does the motor keep going but the blade stops? If the latter happens the clutch is probably shot, but it could be that the blade is just not tightened correctly on the arbor; it is supposed to have a special washer between the blade and the nut that allows some slippage.

You may be able to loosen the nut if you spray it with WD40, block the blade, and then strike the wrench with a hammer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Are you going to -buy- that $15 9-Volt battery, or just stand there and fondle it???

I do not know of this Allen Wrench person. Is he saying that he has worked here?? I keep very very good records you know. Please keep it moving, those fresh $1.75 donuts won't stay that way for--

SIR! SIR! I SEE YOU STUFFING THOSE SWEET N LOWS IN YOUR POCKET!!! PLEASE TO NOT DO THAT!

-- so where was I? I don't know, dowsn't matter. I have to raise the gas prices by a quarter for tonight's snow storm, excuse me sir.

Indeed.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Don't see why it wouldn't be. Just be sure the blade is installed so it rotates in the proper direction, tighten it down, and fire it up. If you've never used one before, get somebody who HAS to give you a 5 minute lesson, else you may hurt yourself.

Oh yeah, ALWAYS respect it for what it is: something that could cause you major bodily harm if used wrong. Familiarity breeds contempt, or something like that. In simpler terms: Cockiness can kill.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

You neeed two wrenches to remove the blade. One is to remove the outer nut. and the other to hold the axle in place. I used a thin

32mm bike wrench on the inside of the blade and a 1" wrench on the outside to remove the nut. At least that's how it worked on my vintage 1980 Rockwell (AKA Delta) tablesaw.
Reply to
Childfree Scott

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

I put the saw blade in my bench vise and then loosen the bolt and bevel. I find an adjustable wrench is easier than the spanner that comes with the saw. (Longer handle=more torque.) .

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Reply to
Anthony Diodati