How to remove sliding patio screen door?

Seems like a very silly question. I have your regular patio door on the back of my house. Big glass sliding door. There's also a sliding screen door. If i go outside and look closely at the bottom of it i see that there are a couple of metal rollers that the door slides back and fourth on. But i can't figure out how to get it off?

My cat has torn a nice hole in the screen at the bottom so i want to replace the screen with the thicker 'pet screen'. I see how to remove the screen material and even how to secure the new material from the frame so that's not a problem.

I tried lifting the whole screen door up and hoped it would allow me to get the rollers at the bottom off their track but that didn't work. There's no room to lift it up. What am i missing?

Reply to
Kevins_news2

i remove my screen door like this: i take a butter knife and put it under the door and then roll the door(roller) over the knife.. the roller which is spring loaded will then lift up and then you pull the door away from the frame....now do it to the other roller if its still in the track...

Reply to
jim

There may be a small locking screw near the rollers that keep them locked in the down position. Loosen it and the rollers move up and down and let you take the screen door out.

Reply to
Art

There should be a hole on each outside edge of the door about 1/4" in diameter.

Insert a Philips screwdriver in the hole, by turning the screw that is attached to the roller this will allow you to raise and lower the rollers and remove the door correctly.

I can't remember if it's clockwise or counterclockwise to lower, but you will see the roller go up into the door depending on which way you turn it.

Once you get the door off you can look at the bottom and see how it works.

Reply to
Ron

Thanks to everyone for the responses. For some strange reason i didn't think of the rollers being spring loaded. And I call myself an engineer. Gguess i really didn't look any further after attempting to pull the entire door upwards.

I have no doubt this will work once i get home to try it.

Reply to
Kevins_news2

The cat has the door adjusted properly. I wouldn't mess with it.

Reply to
JerryMouse

While you have it off, if it has been there several years, you should probably replace the rollers. They are cheap and easy to do once the door is off.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K