How to remove scotch tape from plastic

I bought a humidity "thermometer" at a garage sale. Instead of placing it on the back, the stupid sellers placed a price tag right over the front of the thing, using scotch tape, and apparently it was on there for a long time, and got baked in the sun. I used my fingernails to remove the tape and paper tag, but the glue is still on there. I tried both soap water and rubbing alcohol. Neither removed it. I am considering gasoline (outdoors of course), but am afraid it will harm the clear plastic. What else can I use?
Thanks for all replies
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Bob
I second the WD 40 suggestion. I have the same problem with price stickers on picture frames. Once you peel off the tape, WD40 does an amazing job on the glue.

Another great product is Goof Off. Sometimes it works when Goo Gone fails.
http://www.goof-off.com /
Mr. Fixit eh
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Goo Gone always gets stickers off plastic CD cases for me.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Goo Gone, there is nothing better.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
spend .50c for the thermometer spend 3$ to clean it. Try a hair dryer. and hand cleaner with Lanolin for the glue, like Goop.
Im sure it is calibrated well and accurate.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Wd 40 or lighter fluid...whichever is handy.

LIghter fluid often gumbo's up plastic. I wouldn't use that.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

I had duct tape glue residue on unfinished pine. I tried a number of obvious solvents to no great effect; some of them just helped the glue bunch up or smear. What did the trick was a naphtha-blend product called Oops! In seconds after application I was wiping the glue off gently with my fingers.
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:22:42 -0500, Dan Hartung

WD-40 often works.