How to remove scotch tape from plastic

I bought a humidity "thermometer" at a garage sale. Instead of placing it on the back, the stupid sellers placed a price tag right over the front of the thing, using scotch tape, and apparently it was on there for a long time, and got baked in the sun. I used my fingernails to remove the tape and paper tag, but the glue is still on there. I tried both soap water and rubbing alcohol. Neither removed it. I am considering gasoline (outdoors of course), but am afraid it will harm the clear plastic. What else can I use?

Thanks for all replies

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Try some WD40. Hope you did not scratch the plastic already.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Goo Gone always gets stickers off plastic CD cases for me.

Reply to
chickyraptor

Goo Gone, there is nothing better.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

spend .50c for the thermometer spend 3$ to clean it. Try a hair dryer. and hand cleaner with Lanolin for the glue, like Goop.

Im sure it is calibrated well and accurate.

Reply to
m Ransley

I second the WD 40 suggestion. I have the same problem with price stickers on picture frames. Once you peel off the tape, WD40 does an amazing job on the glue.

Reply to
R.Smyth

Wd 40 or lighter fluid...whichever is handy.

Reply to
Curt Martin

I had duct tape glue residue on unfinished pine. I tried a number of obvious solvents to no great effect; some of them just helped the glue bunch up or smear. What did the trick was a naphtha-blend product called Oops! In seconds after application I was wiping the glue off gently with my fingers.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

WD-40 often works.

Reply to
Tom Miller

LIghter fluid often gumbo's up plastic. I wouldn't use that.

Reply to
ScooterNDevon

Another great product is Goof Off. Sometimes it works when Goo Gone fails.

Mr. Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias