how to remove sand from wellpoint water

Hi All !
I have a wellpoint with pump hooked up to the garden sprinkler system. The problem is that I live in a sandy area and a lot of fine sand comes up with the water, clogging up the water jets. I've fitted small in-line filters, but these block up in only a few short hours, and besides, the fine sand get through in any case.
The local hardware stores have been unble to provide solutions - could only suggest "very expensive sandtraps".
I'm looking for an easy solution, preferably DIY. Anyone out there who'se had the same thing and solved it, I 'd like to hear from you.
Thanx in advance.
DD

How about a whole house filter with a sediment element? It works in normal house use but may clog fast depending on how much you irrigate. How about just letting the grass go natural?
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Southeast Florida has had about 2 inches of rain in the last 4 months.
"Natural" would mean "dead".
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:28:58 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Which is probably why there is the sand. The well is going dry. Until it drys up, try a soaker hose, that wont clog as easily. Otherwise I think you're screwed unless you want to spend lots of money or have a new well drilled.

Good, then you don't have to mow it.

2 or 3 whole house water filters.in parallel will work. And it only takes a second to flush them out and reuse them.
Build you a storage tank and let the sand settle into the bottom of the tank.

Settling tank.
they make an inline filter that has a clear bowl, it lets the sand settle out, and has it's own built in screen. the beauty of this filter is it has a 1/2 threaded fitting on the bottom of it. you screw on a 1/2 ball valve, and when it fills 1/2 full, you just open the ball valve for a second, and whoooosh, the sandis gone. in rare cases you mayhave to add a secondary, small micron filter to polish the water, but usually not. the internal screen can be removed to scrub and clean. I wish I had a brand name for you, but I don't...consult any plumbing shop, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. they are wonderful for sand problems.

This sound about what I'm looking for. Thanx. I'll have to look around a bit.
Thanx for all other replies.
DD

buy a "Banjo" filter. Make sure you know your irrigation supply line diameter so you don't buy the wrong size. The filter element is a cone which can be removed and back-flushed. You'll also need appropriate couplings to install this into your PVC irrigation line downstream from the irrigation pump.
Especially if this is a new well, let the system run through the hose bib next to the irrigation pump to flush sand and debris out of the well. Run it until the water comes out clear and clean -- it may take half an hour or more. Then, close that fitting and run the system normally. Check and fllush the filter, first on a daily basis, then as the system requires, weekly or less.
Since you're under water restrictions from SFWMD, you're probably only irrigating once a week anyway, right ?? Regards --

Perhaps a different kind of sprinkler would be less prone to clogging up. I am guessing you have one of installed systems, don't know much about those, but I know for the end-of-the-hose type sprinklers there are a lot of different designs and some have bigger holes than others.
Perhaps you are /have the wrong type of grass for your area. There are certain kinds that can take extreme draught. I have provided a link.....scroll down to "What Types of Grass are Best? " if your interested.
http://www.allaboutlawns.com/grass-types/choosing-the-best-type-of-grass-for-the-jacksonville-florida-area.php
I pulled up my intake tube a foot and stopped getting sand. YMMV. When your water table gets low, you may have to lower it again to pickup water. Don't do what I did and stick the inlet into the gunk at the bottom of the well. It will very happily suck up rocks and sand and gunk. I ruined the pump - jammed the impeller, but not before grinding some serious groves in it and causing the baffle to warp out of shape (it was already warped, this was all it took to cause it to actually come loose). Easy to fix with a $35 repair kit, but I didn't have the time so I ended up buying another pump.