How to remove saddle valve

I'm removing an old fridge from the basement of my new (to me) house. It's got a 1/4" copper water line to supply the icemaker. I have easy access to the saddle valve that feeds the line.
What do I do to cut off the water supply to the icemaker line? Can I screw the saddle valve all the way in or all the way out to shut off the water? Or do I need to replace it with something else?
Thanks, Michael
Just screw it in until it stops.

As H has already posted you should be able to shut the water off by closing the valve. If you have any problems you can purchase a repair clamp to cover the hole in the water line after the old valve is removed. In my area these repair clamps are only legal in exposed locations.
Colbyt
Since you ask the question, plumbing is aparently not your field.
The valve should turn "to the right" to shut off. Might drip a little from the copper line. It's OK to cut off the copper line a foot or so from the valve, and fold the copper line (tube) shut to stop the leak.
Don't take the screws out and remove the valve -- or you'll get wet and wish you hadn't.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus