How to remove rounded nut or bolt heads.

Recently I rounded off the head of a tube nut. Tried various ways of removing it, none worked.

I found a tool that works great at removing rounded heads. Vice-Grip wrench: Not vice-grip pliers. This tool has 3 sided jaws that tightly grip on the remaining sides of a rounded nut. It grips so tight that even when pulling very hard it did not slip. The nut came off. Has the advantage of being usable on tubing nuts where box end wrenches cant be used. I found mine at Westlake Hardware store.

Reply to
I I

I'm no sure if you are just posting helpful tips or trying to spam and sell the thing. Like where in this world is that hardware store? I never heard of it, so it must be a local store. Anyhow, I'd like to see a photo of this thing. What makes it different from a common vice grips? Is there a picture anywhere on the web that you can direct us to? Or post a photo of yours on a website or binary newsgroup such as alt.binaries.pictures. It sounds useful, but I need a photo to get a better idea of what it is and does. Is it made by the vice grip company? Do thye have a website? (vicegrip.com does not appear to exist).

Reply to
maradcliff

The web page doesn't exist because there's no such thing as "vicegrips". However, there are "visegrips".

JoeSpareBedroom

Well shiver me timbers! Never knew such a tool existed. Sure looks like it could be very useful for bolt heads gone bad. Now, if I can just remember it exists someday when I really need it!

Reply to
trader4

There's also this little miracle, recommended by someone in this newsgroup a few months back, when I was trying to remove a stuck faucet valve seat:

If visegrips were unable to budge a stuck bolt, this thing would save your day. Very cool invention.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When my buddies and me used to make movies of what we did in the prostitution, drug, and pornography business, we used vice grips to help with the filming.

Reply to
mm