How to remove paint from brick?

I am replacing wrought iron rails on the carport with aluminum columns. There is some old paint on the brick that I need to remove. Any suggestions other than a wire brush?
Thanks for your reply.
I did a bit of research on this a few years back...
If memory serves me right, I think sherwin williams had a product that was specifically designed to remove paint off of brick.
Sand blasting, power washing etc is too much of a mess. It also destroys the brick at the same time.
Using heat (paint heat gun) works too.
Tom

graffiti remover might work
Also sold as hair spray. Get the cheap stuff. Brick is pretty porous and it might take a lot of applications. Not sure if you will notice a difference in the color of the brick after your done.
Sand blast...
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:42:49 -0400 "HotRod"

sarcastic.)
I was going to say that, depending on the kind of paint and how much, maybe a razor scraper. I found for brick, the best kind is the cheap box cutter that is just a thin double fold piece of metal with a thinner double fold inside that holds the blade. Most sold these days are only useful as a box cutter, but some had at the opposite end something that would grip the back of the single edge razor blade.
It only holds it in the middle, and then ends are free to flex, so the blade doesn't break near as often as the ones that hold the non-sharp blade edge all the way across.
It worked very well for me to get extra mortar off and if the paint would chip off in chunks, maybe this blade would get that started, at surface level, like it did with the mortar.

into the pores. I have found it easier to first chisel off the blobs as much as possible, then take a brick or brick chip to the paint store, having them computer-match the color and get the texture (flat), then just paint over the nonmatching paint, as a touchup job. You might also consider buying one of the newer premixed sample bottles of paint, doing a rough match by eye.
It's a tough job and you may never be able to remove all of the old paint from the brick. As far as I know, all you can do is apply paint remover and then use a stiff brush (not necessarily a wire brush which might leave particles that will rust). Cover all surrounding areas and protect yourself to prevent corrosive remover from splashing everywhere.
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:53:58 -0400, "Susan Thomas"