how to remove old tub drain/strainer from tub waste shoe

Can someone suggest a technique or two to remove the subject strainer from my bath tub. The tub is about 30 years old...we are replacing the faucet/shower and want to replace the worn/corroded tub strainer too...but I can see no way to 'unscrew' it from the threaded tub drain shoe ?
Thanks, Tim R
That's often one of the hardest things you can replace in a bathroom. It usually requires access to the underside of the tub, removal of the drain pipe and then unscrewing the large nut from the underside which holds it in place.
If you're lucky, it will unscrew from the top using a tool you can get at the hardware store.
Reassembly usually means replacing some of the drain pipe and/or the trap since the old one will fall apart when you remove it.

Get a small chisel and hammer and hit the strainer at an counterclockwise angle to get it loose. Make sure the elbow piece underneath is secured with a wrench or else it will turn along with the strainer when you hit it.
TimR wrote:

If you do succeed in getting it out, don't neglect the rubber gasket which is *under* the tub and seals the shoe to the tub.
The topside is sealed with a ring of plumber's putty.
Jim
just figure on replacing the plumbing underneath, since its almost certinally bad.