I've tried cold scraping, hot water....too messy, think it cools too
quickly,have to keep wiping up. hair dryer, last night tried steam
iron held just above pitchy stuff, sometimes it worked and I was able
to peel a liitle off down to floor boards but mostly some top layer
moved but then I'm left with lower layer still.
So far it looks unbeatable, then I thought maybe I'm not the only one,
so I'm hoping someone has already solved the problem in a manageable
way and can offer advice.
I understand the sanding man won't touch it as it gums up his brushes/
Had a simlar problem about 25 years ago when I had to get glued down
carpet pad off a concrete floor in the basement family room. (No, I do
not know what the prior owner was thinking. But just to give you an
idea, the glued pad was under brown plaid indoor outdoor carpet.)
Despite lots and lots of scraping the black glue crap and final layer of the
pad wouldn't come up fully.
I resorted to a solvent. Just plain paint thinner. Lots of it.
Note: Exterior sliding door was open, the water heater in the utility
room was electric, not gas, and the furnace was off and the pilot
light on the funace was off. (And no, I also do not why the first owner
and the builder had electric stove, gas heat and electric hot water.)
Anyway, i put aout a quart paint thinner on a 3' x 3' square and
let it sit about 15 minutes, and scraped with a with a 4 inch joint
compound / taping "knife" thingy. Scraped up the crud on each
pass. Scraped the joint compound thingy off with rags and paper
towels and into a bucket. Repeated a lot. Washed floor with a
degreaser then with hot soapy water. Took about a week of
evenings for a 15' x 24' room.
I'm glad I was a lot younger then. Not sure my knees would
take it now.
I did about the same, except I used mineral spirits.
Available in the paint department. I just poured some
out on the floor and then started wiping it up. I only
had a closet floor, but you sure need to be careful
about breathing the fumes or let any kind of ignition
source near by.
Well, you don't *know* that. But even if you did:
Using solvent, any asbestos is wet. Very wet. Its also encapsulated.
It ain't going anywhere,
As a one time project, not an "every day for years job" the health risks
approach zero as an upper limit.
In the good old days, EVERYTHING was made of asbestos!!
Home Depot also carries a solvent to break up the old
black cutback glue. Works OK and smells like hell.
Its going to be a project that's for sure, just make sure to get it
all out before someone comes in there to sand down those pine floors.
Get those window fans going and wear that mask!
Both the tiles and cuttback adhesive probably are asbetsos based but
to be honest - so what? Do you know how much it would cost to have
someone come in and do the exact same thing that you are going to do?
With the stuff being wet - after you apply the solvent to it - it
ain't going anywhere.
On Jun 12, 9:59 am, poison firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Thank you to everyone for their imput.
I've done about half now, bit each day.
I'm using a Bosch heat gun and it's softening it enough to scrape off.
So $59 aus at Bunnings hardware, money well spent.
What an interesting site
To get up carpet glue on old wood floors, I use a rug shampoor. I set
the bristles all the way out, load the canister with hot water and
soap, and take my time. You can control the wetness eaily and you
have powered bristles so you don't kill yourself. Don't know if it
will work on your type of glue but it might be worth a try.
There are various products that will work on the backing but not sure
about the pine aspect. One product is available at many grocery
stores called "citra-solv" It's an orange cleaner that comes in a
very small bottle and can be quite expensive. This is not a normal
"orange cleaner." Another product that I've found is De-Solv-it.
About $7 for a spray bottle. I've used it all over concrete floors
but never on pine. I think if you worked it with a brush and then
sanded after it dries you'd be okay.
I did this several years ago with Adhesive Remover, bought by the
gallon at Menards. It was seriously nasty stuff, containing Toluene
and MEK, I believe. Did the trick, but probably causes cancer even in
states other than CA.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.