how to remove odor from trunk of car

one reply was "first remove dead body" i replied, that, that, was so f'n funny.

i know you're not the firs person to think that... maybe the first one to write it out loud though! lol

Reply to
lovlyinsd

Yeah a friend will help you move but a real friend will help you move a body.

Afterwards getting the smell out of the trunk depends on understanding where the smell is coming from. You have to remove the material that is holding the smelly stuff. Smells are caused by the release of small particles from a surface. I would remove mats and fiber board materials and then spray down the metal parts with citrus soap, scrub with a brush and rise well. Pull the rubber plugs under the spare tire well or whatever is in the bottom so it drains and put a fan in there to speed up the drying process. Re lubricate all of the stuff that moves (hinges locks etc) On the permeable stuff, just letting it air out in the sun might get rid of most of the smell. Turn it over etc. If it is carpet, you can shampoo it but most of the stuff in a trunk is basically cardboard and water is not your friend.

If this is too much work. try baking soda. Get a big bag for about $8 from the price club and sprinkle it liberally around the trunk. After a week or two, vacuum it up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Someone told me wadded up newspapers will do the trick to get rid of odors. Supposedly the newspaper trick works for fridges and freezers that have lost power for too long.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Charcoal works better. Activated charcoal is more effective. Baking soda also helps, but Ozone may be your best alternative.

Reply to
clare

Yes, I've used zeolite as well. Advantage is you can set it out in the sun to "recharge".

My brother bought a car that had been full of garbage to go to the dump when the owner died - about 6 months earlier. The car only had a few thousand miles on it and he got it cheap - but it REAKED

The ozone is what finally made it liveable because it killed the smell at the source. Charcoal, soda, and zeolite only absorb the smell out of the air.

Reply to
clare

first try a heavy dose of fabreze, it works miracles

Reply to
bob haller

Seinfeld episode:

Frank

Last owner of my vehicle was a smoker. Still not totally rid of the odor. Yikk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You beat me to it. Most every life situation has been covered by Seined.

Reply to
taxed and spent