How to remove odor from car trunk

I'm posting this to several groups in hopes that someone will have an answer.

I need suggestions for getting the smell or rotted fish out of the trunk of my car and a duffel bag.

On the way home from the grocery store, one of the grocery nags tipped over in the trunk. A couple of packages of frozen salmon fell out and slipped behind a duffle bag. I didn't notice them.

About 3-4 weeks (!) later, I noticed a strong smell when I went into the garage. It smelled just like a smell we had a few years back when a rodent died in the attic. I checked around, but couldn't find anything. Over the next day or two, it got worse.

I checked everywhere but the trunk, because it never occurred to me that an animal could get into the truck. When I finally did, it was awful. I pulled out the duffel bag and found the two packages. They now looked like balloons about to explode. One of them had begun to leak onto the side of the duffel bag the carpeted floor of the trunk.

I emptied the trunk. I was able to wash the some of the items and they came out free of the smell. The trunk has a removable carpet pad. I put it on the driveway and hosed it off. Still smells. I then scrubbed it with hot water and soap. Still smells. I also tried a carpet cleaner product and I left it in the sun for several days. Still smells.

I thought the packages only leaked onto the removable pad, but apparently it soaked through to the non-removable lining of the trunk as well, as it still stinks in there.

I've been reading through old posts. Most of the recommendations are specifically for cat or dog urine. Products like Nature's Miracle, Pet Fresh, Knock Out, Petzyme, Mister Max, Real Ayre, plus various mixtures of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and water.

There are also recommendations for a black light such as Stink Free Stink-Finder.

Are these products specifically for urine or will they work on this smell as well?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
LurfysMa

I would try the Icky Poo. It's that supposed to be the same stuff they use to clean up human remains if it kills that odor I would image it works on fish to.

Spot

I pulled a reefer for a couple of years when I was in the trucking business. One of the oldtimers I met told me the best way to get rid of bad odors from a stinky trailer was to take a 39 ounce can of coffee and mix in an 8 ounce jar of ground cinammon. Throw the mixture all over the surface areas of the trailer and then let it sit for at least an hour. Longer if possible, then either rinse out with hot and then cold water. In a small area like you are talking about a good shop vac would probably do the trick also.

Good luck

Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

Looks like it's a little cheaper on Amazon

Reply to
LurfysMa

Cut rest.

Supposedly crumpled up newspapers will take the smell out of freezers and fridges. Maybe it's worth a try.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Have you tried Febreze? Diluted bleaches? Asked an auto detailer?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Set the car on fire !!!!!

Reply to
fornicator

If it's in the trunk, you can usually pull the carpet out and clean it completely with soap and water. This can usually be done without permenantly damaging it. If the carpeting is attached to some parts, just wash it thoughly while still in the trunk. Likewise, while the carpet it out, you can hose out the inside of the trunk with a pressure washer at the carwash. There should be drain holes in your trunk. Be careful not to get the cushion in the back seat or the car speakers too wet. Rinse, repeat if necessary.

Reply to
Dan S.

Nope

Nope

Nope. I'm asking you all.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Well, just to hazard a guess .. salmon is oily fish, so perhaps that makes the stink "oil based". I would try full-strength laundry detergent on the carpet. Let it stand a while and then rinse. Kitty litter on the trunk liner? Beyond that, I would call the insurance company, at least for advice.

Reply to
Norminn

I would fist clean with Oxiclean. If odors persist, Ozone might work.

zek

First, remove the dead body.

Reply to
Steve IA

Dear LurfysMa:

On Feb 4, 1:49 pm, LurfysMa wrote: ...

Contact a dealer about getting a replacement carpet + backing put in. Your time has to be worth something.

There are various "soft parts" that line the trunk, that likely will also have absorbed the odor. I concur with "zek" that oxyclean solution sprayed into the trunk, and sucked out after a couple of minutes with a shop vac might work. *If* the same solution has any effect on the carpet + pad you were able to get out, of course.

Ozone probably will do an OK job, if the material that got soaked is not too thick. Otherwise the ozone will likely damage the padding, making it stink as if it were old... Ozone is the method of choice for remediating odors from smoke damage and oftentimes for mold.

Some advice available via Google using odor carpet "rotten meat" ... like

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

If you have thoroughly scrubbed everything (don't forget the corners :o)..... then try placing a container of charcoal... e.g. an ice-cream container filled with charcoal heatbeads, or wood charcoal, in the trunk and leave it there for a few days at least. Charcoal is great at absorbing bad odours. I have tried this and it works!

I was told that dry-ice (frozen CO2) is also very effective at removing odours, if you place a container of this in an enclosed space. I've not tried this but it does sound plausible in theory.

For the duffel bag, give it a good scrub...... it should be washable.... and then spray it with Febreze which you can buy at the supermarket, and which is great at removing odours from fabrics. If you can leave it in the sun that may also help. You could also spray Febreze onto the carpeting in the trunk after you have used the charcoal.

Good luck..... I'm sure you will find a solution that will be effective.

~Roberta~

Reply to
Roberta Bagshaw