How to remove minerals from an old teapot?

Hi,
This is the inside of a very large old brass Russian samovar (http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar);
http://freeboundaries.com/inside.jpg
What you see is a very thick layer of minerals, possibly 100 years old. How does one go about removing it?
(Also, I made the mistake of filling it with water is my bathtub and letting it overrun. Now the outside is covered with mineral-ly streaks that seem to be completely embedded in the brass. Any way of getting those out?)
Thanks!
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote: ...

Start by soaking in hot vinegar...also could try the CLR lime removal product which might be a little faster. After that, need more aggressive acids, but w/o knowing the underlying metal better, caution is the better course.
Time and these will _eventually_ dissolve the mineral solids...
Yeah, vinegar is the trick to getting rid of calcium. Who knows the condition of the metal below? It's probably erroded.