How to remove hardened grease from side of a pot?

Page 2 of 2

First try: E Z Off-Fume Free. Leave it about an hour and wash. Second try: Amonia up to covering the spots-in a plastic bag; close bag and leave for 24 hours.(do this outside). Clean as usual. Scrubbing with Brillo or some such will scratch the hell out of the pan. If that doesn't work-consider how much a new pan costs. It't probably worth it.

Depending on what the pot is made of, try Dawn Power Dissolver or whatever it's called. Read the label to make sure it won't harm the pot.
Donna
snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

I bought a commercial product - I think it was "Goo Gone" - from the Ace hardware store - it's a product not unlike paint remover - I used it very successfully on the enamel outside of a non-stick electric frypan. I wore disposable gloves, though ;-) If I find the name is different, I'll post again, but I think that was it. It should be safe for most any non-painted outside of a pot - but test it in a small area. Or read the warnings.
N.
Angle grinder with wire wheel (4.5") at 10,000 rpm. It will take a minute or two, but the baked-on stuff will fly right off (do this outside). For the remaining grease, some dish soap should make it squeaky clean. Might have a few scratches in the surface if it's not stainless or cast iron.
Stop being such a cheap s.o.b, throw the f*****g thing out and get a new one. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

It is called Goo-Gone. Small yellow bottle, black label. It is primarily used to take off gum and stuff like self adhesives.
snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

Oven cleaner...
It works.
Very well.
I once made the mistake of using it to totally clean a cast iron lid that was getting a bit cruddy. Stripped that puppy SO clean, it was silver colored... and rusted like hell. :-(
Took me a bit to re-season it but I've found that grape seed oil polymerizes faster than olive oil by far. ;-)
"Easy Off" brand and a bit of sunlight.
--
Peace!
Om

thank you all for the tips, i went with oven cleaner, which i already have, and steel wool to finish it off. worked well. *maybe* a little cosmetic damage, but not anything that i would care about.
snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

It was NOT Goo-Gone, which removes label stickies, but rather a product called "Sokoff." It works really well.
N.
snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

Dawn Power Dissolver. "It's a murcle!"
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 6-23-06; The Cool, Cool,

I'd try Dawn Power Dissolver first. It works really well at cleaning that sort of thing.
Ms P
Oh pshaw, On Fri 23 Jun 2006 09:39:54a, was muttering about...

If the pot is stainless steel, you can use oven cleaner. Do not use it on aluminum.
--

Wayne Boatwright
There was a show on PBS called Haley's hints where he covered this, and he swears by cream of tartar and a sponge.

A little unconventional, but diesel works wonders on cosmoline, which can be considered a grease. Diesel won't hurt the pan and it isn't horribly toxic or corrosive.
Personally, I would try something more conventional first, after all you will be eating from this thing and it will be exposed to open flame (possibly).
On 23 Jun 2006 09:39:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

On the outside of a metal pot, I might use a bench grinder with a wire wheel in place of the grind stone.
I have an aluminmum popcorn pot, with built-in stirrer, that is about 50 years old and has been used more than 1000 times for popcorn. It keeps getting dirty on the INSIDE and I've been pretty successful boiling water in it, until it runs dry and then leaving it on until it's red hot. (This was a mistake both times, but it works.)
On the outside of a pot that doesn't have to look pristine, I use steel wool, brass wool, or copper wool, depending. I forget the order they go in but they are of different hardness. I use steel wool the least because it rusts. The others can be left by the sink.
why not just throw it out?

Bob M. wrote:

Would you throw out a Bosch jigsaw because it got dirty? Price good cookware sometime. And the quality does make a difference.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On 23 Jun 2006 09:39:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

Lye or oven cleaner will take off old grease. Don't use this on an aluminum pot. Be careful--take it outside, use rubber gloves, eye protection, garden hose.
Phisherman wrote:

Wear closed shoes. DAMHIKT.