How to remove diffuser/lens from fluorescent fixture

I moved into a new home that has a 4 foot long fluorescent fixture on the kitchen ceiling. I need to replace one of the two straight fluorescent tubes that is flickering. But I don't have a clue how to remove the plastic cover, or diffuser, or lens, or whatever you call it. I'm afraid to force it because it's cheap plastic and I might break it.
Is there a trick to this? I've never done this before. TIA.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: snipped-for-privacy@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

You must determine how to open it by inspection. Mine has a hinge on the side allowing the diffuser to slide out to be cleaned (flies or spiders find their way inside and die) or to change a bulb.
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:22:07 GMT, Steven Litvintchouk

On 12/4/2004 6:22 PM US(ET), Steven Litvintchouk took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

side of the fixture. Look for them. If you find them it's just a matter of squeezing the diffuser sides to unhook them.
Look you will find the way , but more importantly replace both bulbs, and at HD they have different color - Kelvin avalaible. For a kitchen you do not want a grey workshop light but a nice warm color, makes a Big difference
Steven Litvintchouk wrote:

Do your best. If you break the plastic, replacements are available at HD/Lowes for less than $5.00.
You might want to replace the thing anyway.
Steven, Is the fixture (and diffuser) flush with the ceiling?