How to remove cylinder in keyed entry lock?

I need to rekey an entry lock but couldn't figure how remove the cylinder from the handle. It this one from Schlage:

There is a hole on the lever for a push pin to remove the handle but couldn't be this easy since it's an entry lock. Sure enough its a "no go" with just the push pin. How do I get access to the cylinder without destroying the lock? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
** Frank **

You'll have to remove the entire assembly, no? I don't think the lock cylinder comes out the exterior side.

** Frank ** wrote:
Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Generally you have to remove the inside handle to remove the outside handle. If it's like my Schlage entry locks, once you have the outside handle off, you insert the key and turn it part way. Then there's a pin on the back of the cylinder you push in, which frees a retaining nut which you then unscrew. That releases the cylinder. But be careful or you'll have a lap full of pins and springs.

Most Schlage entry locks can be easily rekeyed DIY. DAGS for Schlage rekeying kit. I did all mine for a few $$ a cylinder. But mine were traditional deadbolts, not handlesets. The kit I bought had enough pins for 6 locks and came with complete instructions. Took about 5 minutes per lock.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

The pin latch is locked out unless the key is inserted and turned 90 degrees. Then you can pop off the knob with the cylinder inside.

Reply to
Bob

I don't have the keys. Any suggestions as to remove the cylinder without the keys?

Reply to
** Frank **

I believe w/o a key or w/o picking the lock...you need to buy a new set.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

I have the lock removed from the door, it's on my bench. There is nothing from the inside that I could see that could be removed to get to the cylinder. The inside parts that I could see is press fitted with nothing to unscrew or unlatched - why did Schlage do that? Like the others said, I need to have the key or pick it to get to the cylinder. I don't have the key and lock picking ability is something I have yet acquired. Seems like I'm stuck - could use this lock as a non functional dummy lock.

Reply to
** Frank **