How to remove concrete residue from plastic

I have a couple of those
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/J-G-Porter/133.JPG
They have white concrete on them, some solidly stuck. How can I remove it safely to restore the good looks. Thanks
Ignoramus20184 wrote:

(concrete saw)

The most "safe" and expensive way is to use a liquid product called "Concrete Blaster":
http://www.euclidchemical.com/product_detail.asp?id38&pselect17&cselect32&tselect07
http://www.detco.info/database/detco_products_database_view.php?editid1S1
Designed specifically to remove cured concrete from construction equipment.
Might be a bit tricky to use on your saws.
I'd soak a towel in the stuff and then wrap the towel around the saws.
That stuff is moderately expensive.
If you're more adventurous, I'd use muriatic acid (Home Despot sells it by the gallon last time I checked). Cut it 50-50 (or more) with water - and then use the towel method.
But keep it away from any shiny metal, because the acid will take the finish off.
It's best if you can remove all the plastic parts and dunk them by themselves into the acid.
Any non-shiny metal parts that have dried concrete on them can be dunked in acid - just don't let them sit in the acid for a long time (more than 10 minutes).
If you use muriatic acid, wear a good filter-mask (with cartriges) because the fumes will sting your nose.
Ignoramus20184 wrote:

Can you get the plastic covers off? If so, just leave them in a bucket of water with a little vinegar in it. I guess a LITTLE muriatic acid would do the same. Soaking in even mild acid over time turns concrete into mush.
Jon

I will try this, preferably with vinegar. Muriatic acid makes everything near it rust.

DILUTE muriatic acid (10%) or vinegar will work, Ig. Adding 1 cup of acid to one gallon of water is 1:16 ratio, but it also works. Gallons of muriatic cost $4 at stores, or borrow some from a friend with a swimming pool. He won't need it this winter. ;)
Buy a gallon (or more). It can help you clean your slab in the new warehouse. http://goo.gl/98YzV
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke

Looks like a thin layer on the covers. Perhaps a few times in and out of a freezer will let the plastic and concrete expand at different rates, getting it to loosen. A few sharp taps on a concrete floor and you're done ... Maybe ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/10/2011 7:39 PM, Ignoramus20184 wrote:

A wire brush, of course!

Others have suggested acid, but thats probably not concrete that set in place. Thats a concrete wet saw, so the white stuff is just dust from old concrete that dried on. I bet warm soapy water and a nylon brush will take that right off. A little vinegar couldn't hurt.
On Dec 10, 7:39pm, Ignoramus20184 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20184.invalid> wrote:

its a commercially used tool, it needs to look decent, but doesnt need to look brand new.......
if your reselling it you might price new covers
Gunner Asch wrote:

Why don't you read what others have posted here on the subject before you put your foot in your mouth?
Gunner Asch wrote:

Because it wasn't relavent to my observation of your posting style.

Which is less practical or efficient than reading the entire thread as it currently exists before posting your contribution to it.

A consensus hardly ever develops from extended threads. So that point of yours is unfounded.
On Dec 10, 7:39pm, Ignoramus20184 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20184.invalid> wrote:

That looks like a TS400, they are very popular amongst contractors, and easy to repair and get parts for. I would try washing it with hot soapy water first because it could be the splash from wet cutting. If not, it wouldn't be difficult to remove the covers and soak them in acid. Those saws average around $400.00 on ebay in good condition.