How to Remove Ceiling Tile

Those tiles are no where near 40 or 50 years old. There's no worry about asbestos. Any time you are going to be creating dust just stick a fan in a window and have it blow out. Block off the rest of the window. That will suck the dust out of the room and keep it from spreading all over the house.

Those tiles are available and there's not much to working with them. Here's a link to new installation:

You can break out the tile to be replaced carefully as already noted, then cut off the tongues or the backside of the grooves on the replacement tile as required, then use adhesive and white panel nails to install the new tile. A little joint compound works to hide dings in the tile.

RicodJour

Sounds like a quirk written by the lobbyist for asbestos abatement companies

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right; I was going at it from a common-sense standpoint, not a legal regulation standpoint.

Cannot a homeowner still do their own abatement though, even if asbestos is known to be present? (not that it's relevant to me; I had a ceiling similar to the OP, demo'd it in a day. Done. That's about the only stuff I have around here that looks to be potentially asbestos-containing, save for the floor tile in the basement that I also already removed...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Have your heart stop in your sleep. People still do just quit.

Reply to
Han

Mist the tiles with a little water from a spray bottle to keep the asbestos from becoming airborne, and you should be fine. Just put any debris, and the wet rag you wipe everything down with afterward, in a plastic bag and put it in the household garbage.

Reply to
salty