how to remove ceiling light fixture

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/doug23314/Public/?start=0
The link above shows my shower light ceiling fixture looking straight up and from the side. As you can see there is nothing really to grab tho I tried to twist it without success and then I tried to pull it down but it seemed like it was fighting me. It's fairly snug against the ceiling and it's never been disturbed. I'm guessing it needs to be pulled down??? If so, just wondering what to use so I don't ruin the ceiling? I don't really have fingernails.

It should just pull down, but it *is* going to fight you because it's spring loaded.
There are probably two V-shaped springs that go into a small slot and then expand to hold the ring tight to the ceiling,
However, with that said, there is no guarentee that you won't pull some paint off with it. You could try running a blade around/just under the ring to cut any stuck paint as a precaution.
You could also try sliding the ring from side to side a bit. If it slides, then odds are it's not stuck to the paint.
Good luck!

In addition to the above, using a plastic putty knife would be my tool of choice to try to pry it. Plastic is less likely to damage the ceiling. If that doesn't work, then a steel putty knife.
On 3/7/2012 1:34 PM, Doug wrote:

In addition to what DD03 and Trader said, you can often push the glass up slightly and get a screwdriver tip between the glass and trim, which gives something to pull on

What everyone else said is 100% correct

Thanks Oren,bob, RBM,trader4 and DerbyDad !!! I will use your info to remove it.