how to remove ceiling junction box from below?

Page 3 of 3
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:16:06 PM UTC-4, bud-- wrote:

Along those lines, using one of those rotozip saws might be a good solution. On either the box of the light, depending of course if you can tell if the portion of the light is just plastic, ie that you won't damage some electrical component behind it.
On Monday, October 21, 2013 1:48:55 PM UTC-4, bud-- wrote:

You'd have to ask the OP that question.

No, this is what I found and it's not discontinued:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-6-in-Soft-White-LED-Disk-Light-For-Rec essed-Can-Lighting-CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26/203886372?N=bvlwZ1z115g2#.UmboSUvD 9D8
6 in. Soft White LED Disk Light For Recessed Can Lighting     Model # CE-JB6-650L-27K-E26 Internet # 203886372
The Commercial Electric 6 in. LED Disk Light by Cree makes it easy to upgra de your existing lighting to energy efficient LED technology. The Disk Ligh t can be installed in an existing recessed can or wherever a 4 in. junction box is installed - making it extremely versatile for both retro-fit and ne w installation. The semi recessed lens gives the appearance of a higher end recessed fixture and is instant on and fully dimmable. The LED disk Light is perfect for kitchens, hallways, bathrooms, closets, laundry, porches and garage work rooms.
It does appear to be a similar product to what you found. Again, it's not just a trim piece it clearly says it will install into a 4" junction box. It doesn't have installation instructions.

Good grief. Not only does the product description say it can be used with a std 4" box, the installation instructions from the link you just provided for the discontinued product shows how to install it that way. It shows installation into an exiting 5", 6" recessed fixture or a 4" box. Your choice. Since it will install into a just a 4" box, it's a complete light fixture, not just a trim piece.
And I would think most of them would be installed like the OP is doing, into a box, rather than into an existing recessed light fixture. That's because if you have an existing recessed fixture, there are many other products available that fit flat to the ceiling and look much better, ie like a real recessed light.

Did you look at the pics the OP posted of the old box and a new box? The two boxes are in fact just slightly different on the inside on one side. The old box has what looks like a spot for another screw next to the usual one. He even took the time to fill in with yellow where the product fits and show what the fitment problem is. The product he has apparently is shaped to exactly follow the outline of the inside of the box, with just a little clearance so with that extra screw spot there it hits.
And 4"

I would assume it means the min depth of the box.

Yes, the box fill is a good question. Nothing I've seen shows how far into the box it goes. Presumably the OP has one and if he comes back, he can tell us. Given that the one he has closely follows the exact shape of the box, it's the worst case for taking up space.

I agree, that would be a good idea. But on the other hand you have to give him credit for posting several pictures to better understand the problem.

What the heck is your problem?
You replied to a post I made 6 years ago. When someone brought that up, I merely mentioned that you were probably searching for information and came across a old thread. What’s your problem with that?
replying to DerbyDad03 , TC wrote:

you come across as condescending. leave it at that.

That's funny. You took my comment completely wrong, insulted me and called me out directly. Then when I point out your error, you once again comment on my posts and suggest (demand?) I "leave it at that".
Look, you misunderstood a post that was nothing more than an explanation as to why someone would reply to a 6 year old thread. What you should have taken as being in defense of you, you took as condescending. That, my friend, is on you, not me.
Feel free to leave it at that...or not.
replying to DerbyDad03 , TC wrote:

you don't give any advice, just commentary. why not find another place to do that.

So you read one post, misunderstand it completely and make an overall assessment of my posting history.
Do some research.
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:00:12 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I didn't see anything you did that was wrong, either. If he's that sensitive, wait until he gets replies from some of the other folks around here.

My guess is that TC was searching for how to remove/install a junction box and stumbled across the 2007 thread. You'll note the original thread was about installing a fan box but TC wants to install a recessed light. Maybe he didn't know (or care) that the original was 6 years old.
What's interesting is that GG groups shows the whole thread, but now that I'm home and using NewsTap, the thread starts with TC's response.
If you click the link to HH, the whole thread is there.
On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:09:07 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What's even more interesting is that you don't need a box for a recessed light. At least not the ones I've worked with. The romex goes into the fixture itself which has it's own little connection box.
And as another thing to consider, if I was putting in a recessed light today, I'd likely go with an LED one. You can get them now for $25 - $30.
On 10/09/2013 07:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I'd go with the high CRI Cree ones, which are a little more expensive, but yes, comment is still valid. You can't really make the case for economics re: using regular cans and twisty CFLs, but the LEDs have a more professional appearance AND the quality of light is vastly superior.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel