How to remove cast iron kitchen sink

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 12:05:44 AM UTC-5, Rebel1 wrote:

Everything I've put out at the curb in the last year has disappeared long before the trash truck arrives, and I live in a nice neighborhood. I don't know where those things go but I'm glad to see a better spot than the landfill.

No apology necessary. It's just an opportunity for a joke.

It's probably something to do with that internet thing.

How much is that in pounds?

Just kidding.

That's how you make friends, but it probably works better to ask to make a phone call.
Maybe if you see an 18-year old ask him or his father if he wants to make $nn for 10, 20 minutes work.
In NYC, the Dept. of Sanitation publishes the bulk collection schedule for the Upper East Side, the most expensive part of Manhattan. . 40 years ago it was something like the 50's on Monday, the 60's on Tuesday... the 90's on Friday.
Once when I had rented a trailer in Chicago that wasn't due back for two more days, I went looking, but all I found was a truly cheap dresser, although made with real wood, painted glossy black with contac paper on top. And maybe I found a raggedy sofa bed. But since I had nothing, I took them.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:41:03 -0800 (PST), trader_4

If he puts a sign on it that says "free" it could stay there a long time. Put a sign on it that says "$5" and it will be gone within an hour.

The important thing is you got out of NJ!
Now that you guys have convinced me to not break the sink and instead put it out for metal scavengers, it just occurred to me how to get a free helper, both to take it out of the kitchen and cart it away. Simply list it for free on craigslist.com.
From recent experience with listing beds and sofas, the magic four-letter f-word brings them out of the woodwork. Two weeks ago, I posted sofas for free. First call came in less that 20 minutes. Within an hour, I pulled the listing because I had 10 people interested.
Twice I listed beds for free. They are in such demand that I started joking with the callers that it seems I was the only person in the country sleeping on a bed. One guy says he sleeps on a comforter folder over several times.
I'll followup when it's gone.
Thanks to all.
R1
On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 12:34:25 PM UTC-6, Rebel1 wrote:

Someone suggested that to you...May(what's his face) 8^)
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 2:58:47 PM UTC-5, Rebel1 wrote:

the footprint shape of the 2 sinks probably will not match, your better off replacing the countertop along with the sink, or see what it would cost to reglaze the existing sink in place
On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 5:43:56 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

I would hope that before getting to the cutting up the old one stage, he's already figured out that the replacement will fit. I replaced a stainless steel with a cast iron and had no problem finding a fit.

You're trying to use a bulldozer to move an ant hill. Smashing up the sink will likely damage the counter top and formica, and flying pieces may even break a window or something else.
100 lbs is probably almost double the weight of that sink, but since I'm not seeing it, I cant say for sure.
Do this in order:
1. Remove any caulk around sink. 2. Remove the clamps on the underside of the sink. 3. Remove the water supply pipes. 4. Remove the faucet (optional), if you plan to reuse it. 5. Remove the drain pipes.
6. Go to a store and buy a 12 pack of beer. 7. Call a friend(s) and ask them to come over for some beers. 8. When they arrive, ask them to help you life that sink out of the counter. 9. Put the sink outside where it's not in the way. 10. Drink beer with your buddies, watch a movie too!
11. Advertise "FREE SINK" on Craigslist or Freecycle.com -OR- Give it to one of the guys who helped you to sell for scrap metal. Cast iron is worth a few bucks.
12. Reinstall new sink, and hope you can find one to fit the counter top.
If you dont have any buddies who drink beer, (You're in big trouble). But you can always pay the neighbor's teenagers to help you.... Or maybe some old retired guy who has a lot of spare time....
On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 8:33:52 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

That's what I did when I replaced by stainless with a cast iron. It does take 2 people to get the cast iron in/out, but it's a 2 minute thing, unless it doesn't fit or something.

Here we have bulk pickup by the township once a month, that's where my old sink went.

+1
Good. Also, consider Freecycle.org for giving away stuff others could use. Most communities have a Freecycle group. You join (free of course) and post stuff--saves it from going to landfill.