How to remove burned bark?

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:21:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We speak of the same thing. I didn't mean to imply swamp cabbage came from a queen palm, if I did.
(*Swamp cabbage is an old-time Florida cracker favorite vegetable obtained from the heart of the cabbage palm (S. palmetto), which is the official state tree of Florida. The plant is known by such other names as palmetto palm, sabal palm, and swamp cabbage tree.
...The central core is the part called swamp cabbage. It is cylindrical in shape, creamy white in color, and composed of layers of undeveloped boots (leaves) with the consistency, tenderness, and texture of regular cabbage. The trimmed edible product may weigh 5-10 pounds. * http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV038 )

I have a couple of queens that have suffered a serious freeze (for Las Vegas anyway) and then a serious summer heat. IMO, queens are tender palms and not as hardy as other varieties. My blue palm, next to the queens has no damage.
I'm almost certain the queens will die from the fire the OP had.

People here who have been around a while don't think much of queens but they do survive brush fires. (Queens are "dirty" trees, needing lots of maintenance once they mature) I think of them like cats (or dogs for you cat people), they are cute when they are young. Palms drink up through the core so they do better than most trees with bark damage although natives in Florida (slash pines, mahogany, gumbo and the live oak family) willl do OK if the fire doesn't burn the crown of the tree. Fire is part of the natural ecosystem here. Queens usually die from diseases or insect damage and the bark is a protective layer against some of them. BTW if you have sandy soil and you are planning on cutting this down, also plan on sharpening your chansaw before you get done cutting it up and you may just want to toss the chain when you are done. They also draw sand up with the water so the "wood" will be very abrasive. If you (carefully) wipe your hand over the end of a cut palm log you will come away with grit on your hand.

Leave it alone and have some patience during the recovery period.

Striping the bark is fairly easy once you get it started. Then the tree will doe for sure as the bark is protection for the rest of it. Painting it all may do the same. I'd just leave it and see what happens over time or consult a professional arborist.
Walter R. wrote:

I don't know about California, but Florida palms are hard to kill. They survive controlled burns all the time here, I certainly wouldn't use a pressure washer on a tree. I would scrape what part of the black char that comes off easily and let the rest weather.
Hubby and I tried to get rid of a palm stump in the yard once. Using a saw was like trying to cut a wet ball of string. Charcoal starter wouldn't start. Finally soaked with denatured alcohol and slowly burned away enough of it to be able to cover with soil. Never pour alcohol from the can onto a smoldering fire :o)

You get the idiot of the month award on alt.home.repair.
And from personal experience, most trees die after a hot enough fire. The bark will begin to fall off and the tree will die. Of course it depends on the type of tree too. Get some real dark glasses and some prescribed drugs to calm your nerves. Nature will do what it must, and there is noithing you can do about it. If the tree lives, rain will clean them eventually. Your home was saved, what the fuck more do you want? You must be one of the people that complains when their coffee cup is half empty.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:28:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

But you get the twerp award. When did you get a vote?