How to remove Bathtub wall tile?

I want to replace the existing tile on the 3 walls surrounding my bathtub. What is the best way to remove the existing tile? A hammer & chisel? Thanks so much.

Reply to
ELL

That will work. But if you want to recover the tiles, expect a lot of work. I chip off the grout and then put the tiles in boiling water to soften the old mastic. If the tiles were set in thinset mortar, I'm not sure you can recover them, so plan on retiling. That might be the easiest thing to do in anycase. If you can't match the tiles exactly, think about a strip of contrasting tile to divide the remaining walls from your new ones.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

You will be taking down not only the tiles but the walls as well. You will soon know whether the wall is drywall or mud on lath. It will be a huge mess and you will need someplace to put all the debris. If you plan to re-use the tub, expend some effort to ptotect its finish from the falling rubble. An old blanket in the bottom is good but a sheet of plywood over the top of the tub is better.

If the tiles are loose, they may peel off in chunks. If you have to demo the wall, chisels and prybars. Close the room off and block heat registers; there will be plenty of dust to control.

Have you read several books on tile work and the prep for the wall?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thank you, Jim - great and wise advice.

Reply to
ELL

The crew that renovated my bathroom just used a crowbar to remove the drywall, with all the tiles still attached to it. It took 10 minutes to get the 3 walls done, it was amazing. We had to replace the drywall anyway, so I think it was the most efficient method.

Reply to
jstp