How to remove adhesive from concrete slab?

We bought a house with a carpet on the concrete patio slab. The carpet was in such bad shape that we had to tear it off the slab, but that left a lot of ugly adhesive which we would like to remove.
How do we remove that adhesive without damaging the slab?
All help will be very greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Jim D writes:

Basically a messy job of removing a type a paint. A methylene chloride chemical stripper works best.

Ditto the methylene chloride. Take all the safety precautions! It's nasty stuff.

I've got a similar situation. Luckily my patio carpet isnt glued down, so it will come off easy when I get to it.
However, the carpet in the kitchen(thats right, the kitchen) is glued down. After almost three years in the house the carpet looks like hell, is impossible to keep clean and it just doesnt belong there anyway.
I plan on tiling or using engineered flooring but I need to wait until my father finishes my new kitchen cabinets so I can finish the entire floor properly. In the mean time the carpet has to go. All of the carpet will come up easy, but there is a thick layer of adhesive uniformly covering the entire concrete slab.
In previous attempts to get an idea what to do about it I tried a heat gun and propane torch with a paint scraper and it seemed like it was going to be nearly impossible to get the concrete clean. Last night I tried a few test patches, one with paint stripper and one with water.
The paint stripper worked beautifully, but being a harsh chemical and more expensive than water I wont be using it.
The spot I hit with water worked out very nice. My plan is to take an old towel soak it well with water and let it sit about a half hour on a section of slab then scrape. Once all the adhesive is scrapped I'll go over the floor with some solvent to clean it up. Should be an acceptable floor while waiting on my new kitchen.
I'd imagine adhesive for outside use will be water resistant, but it might be worth a try. Matt Mika

I used a garden/ice scraper on a long handle. Of course, I was covering hte floor with engineered hardwood so it did not have to be perfect in appearance, just reasonably smooth.
If you cant or don't want to use the chemicals made for stripping glue and adhisive off, Go to the wallpaper tools section at Home Depot. They sell a 4" razor scrapers. Those are the only scrapers that will work. Get a couple packs of blades since they don't last all that long. Get the longer handle one which is about 18" long. Every few passes, turn the scraper over and use the other side of the blade. That will keep it sharp a little longer. I swear, when I started in floors as a helper, I scraped thounds of feet in the first couple years. Hope that helps, Steve
Jim D wrote:

Gentlemen ---
My thanks to each of you for your help. I had no idea where to start with this problem. Now, thanks to all of you, I have a whole array of solutions to look at and work with.
Thanks again very much. My best to you all.
Jim