How to remove a small tree

Page 2 of 2

I did this a couple years ago. 20 foot Evergreen. Cut the upper as you did which will leave a two or three foot trunk. Get an ax and start to cut through all of the horizontal/diagonal main roots. Soak the soil so that you can start to rock the truck. As you rock the trunk you can dig and expose more roots to cut.
The hardest part will be getting to the last few roots under the trunk. Keep whacking at the un seeable roots under the trunk until you can rock/twist the trunk away.

That's not a tree. That's a bush.
Unless you rent a stump grinder, or have it professionally ground, there is no "easy" way to get it out. Either cut it off even with the ground and wait for it to rot, or get out the shovel and do it the hard way...
What I found worked the best for cutting roots is a "Go-Devil," a splitting maul, used to split firewood. They look like a sledge hammer with an axe edge on one side. One swing was generally enough to cleave the root off at the stump, and a second shot trimmed the root back enough to get in there with the shovel and continue digging. It's not easy. Don't use the circular saw.
I really hesitate to suggest this. A chain, a pickup truck, and a lot of common sense can either pull the whole thing or, at least, provide enough tension to make digging and axe work more productive. Without the common sense your results may differ.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Nothing wrong with this method. It would be my first choice...
Beats using a one eyed plow mule and a chain.
DanG wrote:

can a SIX FOOT pine tree be??????

Real tough; using a circular saw for removal!
Beat a dead horse long enough, you end up with a dead horse with bruises...

To make it easier, go to the branch line and start digging around the tree. If the tree does up uproot immediately which it only does on really small trees, cut the exposed roots behind the tree, back up, and give it a jerk.
A slow pull, cut some expsosed root behind the tree, and give it a jerk has always worked for me.
Before you do it, make sure you have a place to dump the tree and make sure you have dirt to fill the hole.
Dick
make certain there are no water sprinkler power phone cable etc underground lines in area..........
if you opt to try and pull stump.
a guy did that around here and caused a mess.
managed to pull some underground utilty lines and his neighbors sprinkler line. neighbor wasnt home.
he made the evening news:)

As mentioned, axe.
I reciprocationg saw with a junk blade is ideal. Dig below grade around root. Cut.