How to remove a padlock?!

Don't bother with the lock or the shackle.

Cut the HASP ! ( whatever it is that the lock hung on. )

I'm always surprised that folks buy "titanium padlocks" then hang them on a soft-iron hasp that could be cut with a few strokes of a hacksaw.

Reply to
Anonymous

torch or boltcutters. It's probably not in a good position to attempt a hacksaw job. Or chisel.

Steve Barker LT

Use an Angle Grinder, or buy a Bolt cutter (get a good one, the cheap ones break) !!!!!

Reply to
alvinamorey

Expect to be asked for ID, registration, insurance, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

on 10/5/2007 8:14 PM Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) said the following:

Probably just proof that one didn't steal the trailer. Not many thieves go to the PD for help.

Reply to
willshak

Stranger things happen. You sure would not want to be the cop who had to expliian why he cut a lock off a, soon to be stolen, trailer and sent the thief on his way.

Reply to
gfretwell

on 10/5/2007 8:55 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Well, having been in the position for 38 years, I would want proof that the padlock belonged to the person requesting that it be cut off. Even if no ownership proof was forthcoming, at least the full pedigree of the person and the trailer would suffice.

Reply to
willshak

you could also try one of those vibrating lock pick tools, although bolt cutters might be cheaper and you will probably have a use for the cutters in the future.

Reply to
desperado

Don't cheat and use powertools. Do it the 007 way.

Instructional videos at:

Could be an experience that opens doors for you.....

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

Yep, unbelievably stranger. I worked as dispatcher and jailer for 15 years. Best I recall is the dope dealer that called the cops to complain that he had been robbed at gunpoint of his stash of wacky tobaccy. Both ends of that one wound up in jail. (Pullman, Wa in Whiman Co. early 90s. Can't recall the names though)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Much more likely to have a use for an angle grinder and the angle grinder will be cheaper. I got mine for about $20 at Wally World.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

wrote

We do HOA property assessments. Part of the deal is to get into the pool areas and pool equipment areas to photograph and assess equipment. A lot of people do not give us keys or the proper keys. So, I have made myself a set of picklocks. It is amazing just how easy it is to get through some of these "security gates". Part of our report is a section on how sufficient we think their security systems are.

Most of the passage gates can be opened with a credit cards. Deadbolts require a picklock and any pro would be in within two minutes. Padlocks are a different matter, as grinders make too much of a fuss. But they are no match for good bolt cutters.

I have a set of bolt cutters that I bought at a police auction on confiscated and unclaimed goods. They are American made and are every bit of 4' long. I have yet to see any round rod they will not cut.

When I was a welding contractor, I cut a lot of locks off for storage companies. They were a piece of cake except the ones shaped like a hockey puck. They were tougher, but a die grinder with a very very thin blade did it for those. Most of them I did with the big bolt cutters, as grinding caused a lot of sparks and fire hazard. A cutting torch was out of the question.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you won't use boltcutters ... then use the ultrasonic lock removal tool. Google for it.

Reply to
Slacker

Took about 2 seconds. Thanks again!

Reply to
Toller

Glad it solved your problem!

Reply to
salty

I opened my neighbors master lock with a small pry bar and a big screwdriver that I just stuck in the shackle, and with one good push and that thing popped right open. Wasn't hard at all.

Reply to
TH