How to remove a padlock?!

Page 2 of 2

We do HOA property assessments. Part of the deal is to get into the pool areas and pool equipment areas to photograph and assess equipment. A lot of people do not give us keys or the proper keys. So, I have made myself a set of picklocks. It is amazing just how easy it is to get through some of these "security gates". Part of our report is a section on how sufficient we think their security systems are.
Most of the passage gates can be opened with a credit cards. Deadbolts require a picklock and any pro would be in within two minutes. Padlocks are a different matter, as grinders make too much of a fuss. But they are no match for good bolt cutters.
I have a set of bolt cutters that I bought at a police auction on confiscated and unclaimed goods. They are American made and are every bit of 4' long. I have yet to see any round rod they will not cut.
When I was a welding contractor, I cut a lot of locks off for storage companies. They were a piece of cake except the ones shaped like a hockey puck. They were tougher, but a die grinder with a very very thin blade did it for those. Most of them I did with the big bolt cutters, as grinding caused a lot of sparks and fire hazard. A cutting torch was out of the question.
HTH
Steve
Toller wrote:

1. A quality padlock will have a number embossed next to the keyway. Take this number to a locksmith. He'll look up the pin positions in his sooper-sekret book and make you the key.
2. Some say you can hose the lock down with circuit cooler stuff then shatter it.
3. While you may not be able to hacksaw the lock, you may very well be able to saw whatever the lock is attached to.
4. "Laminated steel" is not equal. If the lock is made by a reputable company, the thing may be impervious to a shot from a 30-06! If the lock is made by WongLoo Locks, you might be able to blow it off.
5. The keyway is made of brass (usually). You might be able to drill out all the innards.
I took mine to a welder who used a torch to burn through it. Charged me $3

Invest in boltcutters. They are also useful burglary tools.
Nick
Toller wrote:

See if this guy makes housecalls <G>:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Toller wrote:

Angle grinder or circular saw with a metal-cutting abrasive blade. Makes quick work of it right now.

See if you can slide some shim stock down the side of the shackle and disengage the locking lug. Or sacrifice a feeler guage to the task. Otherwise try one of those 6" wire frame hacksaws and cut very close to the lock body, they never seem fully hard there.

Don't bother with the lock or the shackle.
Cut the HASP ! ( whatever it is that the lock hung on. )
I'm always surprised that folks buy "titanium padlocks" then hang them on a soft-iron hasp that could be cut with a few strokes of a hacksaw.
<rj>
you could also try one of those vibrating lock pick tools, although bolt cutters might be cheaper and you will probably have a use for the cutters in the future.
--
don paolino
"beecrofter" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Much more likely to have a use for an angle grinder and the angle grinder will be cheaper. I got mine for about $20 at Wally World.
Harry K
torch or boltcutters. It's probably not in a good position to attempt a hacksaw job. Or chisel.

Use an Angle Grinder, or buy a Bolt cutter (get a good one, the cheap ones break) !!!!!
Toller wrote:

Don't cheat and use powertools. Do it the 007 way.
Instructional videos at:
http://www.metacafe.com/tags/open_lock /
Could be an experience that opens doors for you.....
PB
If you won't use boltcutters ... then use the ultrasonic lock removal tool. Google for it.

I opened my neighbors master lock with a small pry bar and a big screwdriver that I just stuck in the shackle, and with one good push and that thing popped right open. Wasn't hard at all.